Practical matters

before, during and after your stay

Practical matters come into play once you know what you want to do, where you want to go and as soon as you have gathered the financial means to successfully complete your international experience. In this section, we provide information about the practical preparation for your stay abroad.

View the Health & Safety Checklist for outgoing students.

  • Before

    Make sure you have taken note of all practical steps before your departure, consulted your Exchange Coordinator, visited the Let’s GO! and visited pre-departure meetings and events as much as possible. These help you prepare better for your experience abroad.


    Mandatory registration of your stay abroad
    To allow the UT to contact you in case of emergency, all outgoing UT students must register their stay abroad in Mobility Online. Registration in Mobility Online is also required to apply for a scholarship. 

    Travel insurance

    Travel insurance
    Upon completing the Mobility Online registration, you are automatically registered for free travel insurance. This free insurance applies to study-related activities only and only has basic coverage. Please check with your own insurance if you need additional coverage!

    Keep in mind that the UT travel insurance is only valid for the duration of your study-related stay abroad and not for free travelling after your programme has finished.

    European Health Insurance Card 
    It is also strongly recommended that you own a European Health Insurance Card when travelling abroad. This is a free card that gives access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. More information on the card and on how to obtain it is available here.

    Mandatory safety check of the country/region
    Please fill in your destination country (Dutch only) in one of the links to see the recommendations on a map. Green and yellow areas are considered "safe". Orange and red areas are considered unsafe and are highly advised against. If you do travel to an unsafe region, please be aware you a no longer eligible for a scholarship.

    Application for UT Travel Insurance
    After your mobility has been approved in Mobility Online by your faculty (exchange, internship or programme) coordinator, you will automatically receive the insurance policy by email, including the attachments (general conditions and coverage overview). 

    • UT travel insurance is not valid for additional travel after finishing your study-related activities. You will have to arrange additional insurance.
    • Please be aware of official travel advice. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes an overview of all recent official travel recommendations (link below). In case of emergency, contact your UT internationalization coordinator.
    • If your international stay is more than 180 consecutive days (up to a maximum of 365 days), you are obliged to have international health insurance.
    • Call the number of the insurance company when you need to use your travel insurance (see link below). 
    • Students with AON Liability Insurance: please be aware that this insurance is not valid for the USA/Canada.

    Changes to the insurance
    If you have already received a confirmation of your registration and need to make changes in dates or destination or cancel the insurance, please login here.

    Chubb Travel Smart app

    Travel Smart is an app designed to help you stay one step ahead while on the move, providing pre-travel advice and alerts directly to your phone. It also enables the UT to locate you in case of calamities if you have been involved in an accident or have been taken ill suddenly anywhere in the world. Read the download instructions here.

    Arranging Accommodation

    Most exchange universities offer a house or provide you with local housing information. 

    Within Europe, several international websites can help you find a room, such as HousingAnywhere.

    24/7 Buitenlandse Zaken Contact Center  (Dutch only)

    Read the travel advice for your destination.

    Stay up to date on the latest developments in your destination country by downloading the free travel app of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: the 24/7 BZ Reisapp. For android and IOS.

    Add your destination to your favourites to receive push notifications if the safety situations change for that country. 
    The Ministry's Information Service (Dutch only) can provide you with information about, e.g. passports, travel insurance, and registration at the Dutch embassy. You can also contact them in case of emergency, such as losing your passport, being admitted to a foreign hospital, etc. 

    Follow the Ministry of Foreign Affairs via Twitter: @24/7BZ.

    Information Service Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) (Dutch only)

    Register at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) to be updated on the safety situation abroad and, if you wish, to be registered at the embassy in your destination country.

    Ministries of Foreign Affairs often provide free service to citizens who travel or reside overseas. Regardless of whether you are travelling abroad for study, work or leisure, registering allows you to record information about your travel route abroad. The information you provide will allow the ministry to contact you to make sure that you are safe and, if necessary, assist you in case of an emergency (e.g. natural disasters, civil unrest, etc.)

    Information Service Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Buitenlandse Zaken) (English)

    Netherlandsworldwide: All you need to know about living, working, travelling and doing business abroad.

    Health Insurance

    When you are doing an internship abroad, your Dutch health insurance generally continues. This allows you to remain insured for medical expenses through your Dutch health insurance. Moreover, before your departure, it is also advisable to determine whether additional supplementary health insurance (and travel insurance) is desired. This partly depends on your personal situation and the duration of your stay abroad.

    Dutch students who temporarily go abroad to study and do so while being younger than thirty remain insured for long-term care. This means that they are insured for medical expenses during their stay abroad.

    However, if they decide to work besides their studies or have a paid internship, this might affect how they should arrange their health insurance.

    When studying less than a year in the EU, the EEA, or Switzerland, Dutch students should get an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) from their insurer. The EHIC entitles you to emergency medical care without you having to pay the costs then and there. The EHIC also guarantees the right to urgent medical care during a temporary stay in Australia. It only ensures the right to urgent medical assistance. 

    For more information.

    Visa / Working permit / Passport / Drivers licence

    Residence permit/visa
    EU nationals do not need residence- or work permits for study or internship in EU countries. If you are not an EU citizen or your study/internship abroad takes place in a non-EU country, please contact the embassy of your host country for accurate and up to date information about immigration rules for students. Please consider that application for a (student) visa and may take up to a few months. Your host university’s International Office will also be able to help you obtain the necessary documents.

    Working permit for the UK
    After Brexit, obtaining a working permit for study or internship in the UK may be required! Please read more about the application for a working permit and the additional costs here.

    Working permit for the US
    Obtaining a working permit for study or internship in the US is a difficult and usually lengthy procedure. Also, rules regarding the correct visa are subject to regular changes. Please visit the NUFFIC website for up to date information about US work permits.

    Drivers licence
    Within the EU, your Dutch driver’s license is valid for six 6 months after departure from the Netherlands. Outside of the EU, an international driver’s license is required. This license is valid for 12 months and can be purchased at your local ANWB-store.

    Make sure your passport is valid until a few months after arrival in your host country. Rules for passport validity may change and are not equal for all countries. Check the embassy of your host country beforehand.

    Please note: Travelling with the wrong visa could have serious consequences. In particular, a new US law enacted in 2009 requires every person travelling to the US to perform a mandatory online travel application beforehand. Please follow the ESTA-link below for more information about this particular requirement. The University of Twente is not responsible for the consequences of travelling with invalid documents.

    List of embassies and consulates in the Netherlands
    Electronic authorisation for travel to the US (ESTA)
    WilWeg wijzer (in Dutch)
    ANWB - International drivers licence (in Dutch)

    Booking your flight

    Do not book your flight unless you are absolutely certain you can travel by checking with your faculty contact person. Also, make sure you are admitted, and make sure you are allowed to enter the destination country.

    The UT or Dutch government will provide no repatriation if a new Covid outbreak/wave occurs. Financial consequences upon having travelled against UT policy (such as a scholarship application) and travel costs are at your own expense.

    Compensation for your OV-chipcard
    (Dutch only)

    Students going abroad for study or internship as part of their UT programme are eligible for monthly compensation for their OV student card (national student card for public transport).

    Please make sure to apply for the compensation two months before departure. Your faculty internationalization coordinator must sign the application form to prove that your stay abroad is part of your UT programme. You can request an OV compensation on the DUO website. Please follow the link below.

    Please note:
    To be eligible for OV-compensation you must temporarily de-activate your OV student card. The OV-compensation is awarded only for those months in which your OV student card is not activated. Make sure to de-activate your card before the first day of your first month abroad.

    Language and Culture

    UT English Language Course
    It is common for your host university to ask for a recently acquired (less than two years ago) original certificate (IELTS or TOEFL) to prove your English proficiency. If you would like to improve your English language skills, the UT Language Coordination Centre offers language courses. For more information, follow the link below.

    If you want to know more about your host country, Lonely Planet travel guides are always a good starting point. This world-renowned travel guide offers information on a wide variety of hotels, restaurants, sights and entertainment in all price ranges, as well as insight into the local culture. 

    UT Language Coordination Centre
    TOEFL (English language proficiency test)
    IELTS (English language proficiency test)
    Lonely Planet travel guides


    All required vaccinations (prior, upon arrival or during your mobility) including Covid-vaccinations, abiding to the general and local health measures (i.e. quarantine), and travel restrictions in transit or at your destination, are your own responsibility. It is part of your study abroad experience, and you are responsible to be well-prepared, well-informed and to take action when required to do so.

    For many countries outside of Europe, you have to be vaccinated or protected against particular diseases. Not all vaccinations are mandatory; some are recommended. Upon vaccination, you will receive a vaccination certificate. You might be asked to show this to the customs officer upon entering your host country.

    Should you not be (fully) vaccinated for Covid-19 before your intended travel abroad, it is important to inform yourself about the rules and regulations and practical services and measures at your destination, host institution, and in transit countries, where relevant. You could think of topics such as the rate of vaccination programmes, timelines for vaccinations, where to receive vaccinations, availability of types of vaccinations, requirements for having vaccinations upon entry into a country or required documentation in order to receive vaccinations. Also, costs may be involved.  

    Your host institution may have more information on vaccination programming and quarantine measures. You are also advised to explore sources such as ministries of health, national health organizations, and immigration services of the country of your destination.

    For (information about) all other vaccinations, please contact the campus doctor or the Travel Health Clinic.

    Paying abroad

    Please make sure you have enough financial means to cover unexpected situations (e.g. delays) during your travels.

    Also, make sure you bring multiple types of payment whilst travelling, such as cash, bank cards, credit cards. Add the phone number of your bank to your phone so that you can disable your cards immediately in case of loss or theft.

    Check if your bank card allows withdrawals outside Europe (if applicable). If you travel outside Europe, please make sure you also check with your phone provider to find out the costs for calling and use of the internet outside Europe.

    A regular Dutch debit bank card with a Cirrus or Maestro logo will allow you to withdraw money from most cash dispensers or ATMs abroad. Check with your bank if this applies to your host country. Consider carrying or applying for a credit card if you feel uncomfortable carrying cash around. Credit cards are widely accepted and often eliminate the need for cash deposits. Credit cards can also be used to withdraw cash from ATMs; be aware that administrative fees may apply.

    Traveller's cheques
    Traveller’s cheques offer a reliable monetary backup if you lose your wallet or encounter problems using your debit card abroad. Travellers Cheques are insured against loss and theft; be sure to keep a note of the serial numbers in a safe place. For all information about Travellers Cheques, visit the GWK Travelex office at Enschede Central Station.

    Money transfer
    GWK Travelex office also allows friends or family to send money from the Netherlands to you. You can pick up your money at a local MoneyGram/GWK office 10 minutes after the transfer. Because of high transfer costs, this is not a preferred option for transferring money. For other options, please check Western Union - Money Transfer and MoneyGram Agent Locator.

    Some tips

    • Searching for an ATM while carrying your luggage in a country you have never been to before should be avoided. Get some cash in the currency of your host country before departure at the GWK Travelex office. This will cover first expenses like transportation from the airport and initial food.
    • Keep some Travellers Cheques in reserve for emergencies. You can exchange these for every desirable currency anywhere in the world.

    ISIC Card

    The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is an internationally accepted card for all students. The ISIC card proves your student status and gives over 40,000 discounts worldwide for international travel, restaurants, museums, international phone calls, etc. Use the ISIC Discount Finder to find out what discounts you can receive with the ISIC card. The ISIC is accepted in over 100 countries.

    Erasmus+ App

    The Erasmus+ Mobile App is your single point of entry into the Erasmus+ programme, providing a broad range of information, tools and services to help you plan and carry out your Erasmus exchange.

    Download the Erasmus+ mobile app: Google Play Store and iTunes App Store

  • During

    Your mobility trajectory may be affected by unforeseen circumstances while you are in your travels for study or in study abroad experience. Or you may have made plans to travel after your mobility has ended. In all cases, you should make any deviation of the original trajectory known to the University of Twente by:

    1.     Informing your Faculty Contact Personand

    2.     Editing your Mobility-Online registration.

    We realise unforeseen circumstance may arise at any time. Should you find yourself part of a calamity or have been affected by a calamity either physically or mentally, and you can reach out, make sure you notify your family and/or friends first. The UT also appreciates knowing how you are doing. You may always contact our Emergency Abroad Service via

    Please know that the UT is monitoring worldwide alerts on a daily basis. However, not all ­­­­­local events get through. In any case, the UT will reach out to you to check on your wellbeing should a calamity event occur in the vicinity of the address you provided through Mobility Online. So, make sure the data you provide is up-to-date and correct at all times, for example if you change your foreign address or get a local telephone number.

    The UT also offers services in case you experience after-effects either on your study progress or mental state. You are always welcome to reach out to your Study Advisor and the Student Coaching and Counselling unit.

    Essential phone numbers:

    • 24/7 BuZa Contact Centre: +31 247 247 247
    • Local embassy/ consulate
    • UT’s insurance (Hienfeld: +31 205 469 469)
    • Your own travel insurance’s emergency number
  • After

    If you receive a UT scholarship, you must take some more steps upon the end of your mobility trajectory. An overview of these steps can be found in your registration in Mobility-Online in the “after the mobility” section.