Requirements and study progress


Sufficient study progress

One of the obligations is that you must have sufficient study progress. This means that you must obtain at least 50% of the EC that you can acquire during an academic year in order to keep your residence permit for the next academic year. In other words, if you are registered as a fulltime student for the entire academic year (i.e. your programme starts in September and finishes in August), you must obtain at least 30 of the 60 EC. In case you are starting or finishing your academic year in February, this means you must obtain at least 15 of the 30 EC since you are merely enrolled for one semester. 
Please note that, although MoMi applies to all regular Bachelor, Pre-Master and Master non-EU/EEA students with a residence permit, the procedure for ITC-students differs from the information outlined below. If you are enrolled in the ITC faculty, please contact the ITC Student Affairs Office for further information.

Additional requirements


Deviating from the regular MoMi standard (50%), a preparatory year / pre-master / transition year must be completed successfully (100%) within 12 months, in order to be admitted to the main (master) programme. If you're not enrolled and admitted to the master programme before the ending of the 12 month period, the IND must be notified. The 12 month period can not be extended (IND rule).

BSA (Binding recommendation):

In addition to MoMi, the University of Twente has set a ‘Binding Recommendation rule’ (BSA), which applies to all first-year Bachelor students. In order to continue your programme, you must also meet the BSA criteria. In order to continue any study at the University of Twente, you must meet the MoMi criteria (e.g. when you switch to another programme during an academic year or at the start of a new academic year).

final Decision

After the end of each academic year, the MoMi Committee determines your annually study progress on behalf of the educational institution. During the academic year, the programme will inform you about your study progress.

Fail to meet the MoMi requirements

In case you have obtained less than 50% of the required EC without any justifiable reason (next page), or you did not meet the requirements of a preparatory year, the UT is obliged to report this to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). In most cases the IND will revoke your residence permit, you can't continue your study at the UT, and you have to leave the Netherlands or need to find another educational institution that is a recognized sponsor. If you want to study at the UT again, you must go through the whole visa process again from your home country. If you have questions about the visa process, please contact our Visa department.