When CSTM secures a grant for a specific research project, it can offer a PhD-grant to promising researchers under guidance of a full professor and a senior researcher. The successful PhD candidate will receive an employment contract with the University of Twente for the duration of their PhD research. Whenever such a grant is available, it will be advertised on this website, next to other usual outlets, such as Academic Transfer. Available PhD positions across the University of Twente are also listed on the university's vacancies page.
Conditions of designated PhD positions in the Netherlands
A designated PhD position usually corresponds to a 4-year, full time research position, along with additional academic training at the Twente Graduate School. Working conditions and salary in Dutch academia are regulated through the collective labour agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
The following is an indication of what to expect. Exact conditions can be found in the description of the respective vacancy.
- Salary ranging from € 2,395 gross at the start to € 3,061 gross in the 4th year
- Benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%
- Access to facilities for professional and personal development at the University of Twente, with a personalized training programme
- A training programme with a plan for appropriate education and personal development training
- Enrolment in the Twente Graduate School
How to apply
Information on how to apply for a specific PhD position are given in the description of the respective vacancy. Please take a look at the university's vacancies page below to learn more about the positions that are currently available.