Within the faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) the Programme Director Civil Engineering is responsible for the BSc-programme Civil Engineering, the MSc-programme Civil Engineering and Management, the 3TU MSc-programme Construction Management and Engineering and the PDEng-programme Civil Engineering. All programmes are taught in English.
You are the representative of these programmes both internally and to the outside world. Under the direction of the Vice-dean Education of the faculty, you are responsible for the strategy and the structure of these programmes. In particular, this concerns the realisation of coherent educational programmes and a corresponding learning environment that are in line with the educational vision of the UT. This vision focuses on student-driven learning and project-based education with the aim of all students becoming proficient in the required knowledge, skills and attitudes of the relevant field. The UT considers it important to introduce Bachelor's students to the roles of researcher, designer and organizer, allowing them to discover their greatest strength and interest in order to become competent in a role in a subsequent stage (in the Master's programme and after that).
To realize the educational programmes and the learning environment, you may rely on education coordinators, study advisers, staff mobility, internationalization, and quality assurance staff of the Office of Educational Support of the faculty.
In addition to your role within the program, you share, as part of the MT Education of the faculty, responsibility for the educational vision in the broadest sense and are accountable for the faculty's broad programme vision.
You shall meet the following requirements:
- You have a background in Engineering Technology, or in Educational Science or a related discipline, with demonstrable affinity with the field and/or the programme of Civil Engineering.
- You hold a PhD degree.
- You have at least 6 years of relevant experience.
- You have a clear vision on education, student learning, didactics and curriculum development and has an interest in educational issues.
- You have extensive experience in higher education and excellent teaching skills
- You have experience in coordination and organization of education
- You have experience in quality assurance.
- You have affinity with the educational vision and educational profile of the University of Twente.
- You are a convincing and decisive person.
- You are a team player who understands the importance of collaboration with colleagues within and outside the UT. You have the capacity to properly balance the different interests.
- You have capacity for innovation: identifies opportunities for innovation and are able to realize new initiatives.
- You have excellent communication skills. In any case, in English and preferably also in Dutch.
- You possesses leadership qualities and power of persuasion and interacts easily within different groups (students, education support staff, professors and other academic staff, fellow programme directors, etc.);
- You have access to a network within the professional field of Civil Engineering and/or in the field of education and is able to tap into opportunities to acquire additional revenue and subsidies for education.
You are expected to spend approximately 0.5fte of your time on this position; the other part of the time will be spent on teaching and/or research. Our intention is that the successful candidate will start around January 2020.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You can apply for this position till 22 September 2019.
We may have a preliminary Skype-interview with selected candidates on 3 or 4 October 2019.
Interviews will be planned between 7 and 18 October 2019.
For any questions you might have, you are welcome to contact:
- Professor Dr. G.P.M.R. Dewulf, dean of the ET faculty (e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org) or;
- Dr. ir. C.M. Dohmen-Janssen, Vice-Dean Education of the ET faculty (e-mail email@example.com)
You will be appointed for a period of one year. The employment will be extended or become tenured after a positive evaluation.
We offer you:
- A very challenging position in an inspiring and international environment.
- A gross salary between from € 5.294,- to € 6.738,- per month (scale 14) , depending on experience and qualifications.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of fulltime employment.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- A family friendly institution.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.