The TechMed Centre at the University of Twente is looking for a Research Software Engineer / Scientist (0.8 – 1.0 fte) with advanced programming skills, and an interest in Medical Imaging Research and biomedical computing.
You will mainly be working with research groups located at the faculties of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) and Science and Technology (S&T). Both faculties have research groups in the Health Domain that work with Imaging Data. These groups use mathematics, electronics and computer technology to conduct their pioneering research. The researchers often work together with industrial partners and other researchers, in both the Netherlands and abroad. These research groups are mainly:
- Robotics and Mechatronics, MRI compatible Robotics
- Magnetic Detection and Imaging
- Multi-Modality Medical Imaging
- Biomedical Photonic Imaging
The position requires you to take ownership and to be pro-active in performing your tasks. In return you will receive a high degree of freedom in planning your work. You’ll be employed by our centralized ICT department, division Projects and Development. The main objective of this department is to create a digital environment that helps excel the primary processes of the university.
The research projects are carried out in cooperation with the Technical Medical (TechMed) Centre institute.
TechMed Centre is a leading Innovation Hub impacting healthcare by excellent research, innovation and educational programs. It is equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure, ranging from research labs, preclinical testbeds and simulated hospital environments. The TechMed Research Support Team will be your partner in coordinating your tasks.
You will spend an average of 80% of your time on supporting research groups and 20% of your time within the centralized ICT department, where you cooperate with a team of experienced software developers.
You will work with main research software such as the XNAT platform (eXtensible Neuroimaging Archive Toolkit) and R.
You will work in the following areas:
You will work on the enhancement of the platform and creation of associated tools in the lCT landscape of which XNAT is the main component, combined with for example CTP (ClinicalTrialProcessor).
Oversight of the Medical Imaging Research landscape, including 3 XNAT instances (2x production / live databases, 1x test instance)
- You will use the platform for analyses of clinical image data (DICOM), advanced imaging processing and integration with other medical data such as radiology reports;
- Secure access and permission control;
- Full DICOM integration and anonymization;
- Get image data in and keep personal health information out;
- Integrated search and reporting: report on image and clinical or psychometric data together;
- Pipeline processing and specific analyses using a Java-based framework in XNAT, Python or R
- Modular extensibility;
- Expand capabilities of XNAT;
- Managing all data in line with researchers needs and according to UT-policy including FAIR-principles.
External coordination / collaboration
- Collaboration with the core XNAT development team (Washington University);
- Collaboration with the international XNAT open source developer community;
- Collaboration with partners in medical imaging research (University Medical Centres, etc.).
You have 3 to 4 years working experience in an environment of software development for research where exploring, novelty, creativity, intelligent solutions, the use of open source tools and attitude to open source the code you create are core matters.
You are capable of training scientists in data science and coding skills, using principles such as in the Carpentry programmes.
MSc in Computer Science. Optional: physics, mathematics, computational biology or a closely related field. Alternatively, you can deliver evidence of your capacities in another manner.
- communication skills: connect with researchers, find out which research questions users want to ask and how the platform can help answer them
- problem solver
- quick to take ownership
- must be fluent in English (at least C1 level), fluency in Dutch preferred
Knowledge / experience ‘must have’
- computing in a medical field
- programming skills including Java and Python
- web development experience
Knowledge / experience ‘nice to have’
- image data processing, DICOM in particular
- previous experience programming for the XNAT platform
- ability to deliver software tool packages that can be understood, extended and executed by a range of end-users
- experience in data integration & visualization
Information and application
Please send your application before 30 September 2019 via the 'Apply now' button, and include:
- your curriculum vitae
- your research and publications, if you have (co-)authored any. If you have any questions please contact Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen (email@example.com, tel:+31 (0)53 489 4834) or Nicole Koster (TechMedCentre, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +31 (0)53 489 1854).
We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment in close cooperation with researchers performing cutting edge research together with partners in industry.
Close cooperation with researchers requires you to be on site most of the time but working partly from home is possible.
The University of Twente offers an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure.
The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
A PhD program in which your work becomes your research is an option. Your research field will be the development of novel ways of analysing medical images and associated medical data to help diagnosis and treatment in a wide range of medical areas.
You will be appointed for 2 years, for 0.8-1.0 fte (32-40 hours per week) with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO), and include:
- a starting salary from € 2.709 (scale 10 min -11 max,) to € 4.978 gross per month, based on relevant work experience and a full time position;
- a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary;
- a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- a very broad leave arrangement;
- professional and personal development programs;
- a solid pension scheme.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Library, IT Support & Archive Department (LISA) provides the Library, IT and Archive support for more than 10.000 students and 3300 employees of the University of Twente.