We are looking for a highly skilled researcher to reinforce our team!
This 4-year fully-funded PhD position is part of the Meerjarige Missiegedreven Innovatie Programma's (MMIP) grant, project 9.4 “Developing a closed-loop thermochemical storage system”. following universities, knowledge institutes and industries are involved in this project: University of Twente, Technical University of Eindhoven, TNO, Municipality of Eindhoven, Caldic, Oversluizen thermal engineering, FPSsim, U-Projecten and MercuryLAB.
There is a growing need for flexibility for the use of local and sustainable energy sources, which is caused by the natural fluctuations in the supply of these forms of energy. The combination of sustainable energy systems and compact thermal storage leads to a more efficient use of sustainable energy and a reduction of the required energy from the local electricity grid. Especially the use of thermochemical materials (TCMs), which is an intrinsically loss-free and compact means of thermal energy storage, can effectively balance the supply and demand. Optimized heat and mass transfer characteristics benefit storage capacity and charge/discharge power.
The overall aim of this project is to increase the potential of the so called closed-loop TCM system by increasing the efficiency (i.e. decreasing the charge and discharge losses, a higher power uptake/release per volume and a lower regeneration temperature). As part of this project, the closed-loop heat battery will be modeled and analyzed to optimize the design and performance. The ultimate goal is to further develop the heat storage system from the 1st generation to a first user-ready system.
- You hold a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics or similar subjects.
- You have a thorough knowledge of fluid mechanics ( including including multiphase flows).
- You have proven relevant expertise in in CFD modelling particularly programming with C++ (that is a must), experienced in working with OpenFOAM is a plus.
- Your writing skills are good - you have written technical reports and/or scientific papers.
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well in a team.
- You have excellent communication skills and good
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written .
- You have experience in doing multidisciplinary based research.
- You have an interest in contributing to a high quality, impactful working team with several post docs and PhD candidates.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You are welcome to contact Dr. Mina Shahi for any questions you might have (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your application must include the following documents:
- A cover letter carefully describing research interests and goals
- CV (including contact information for at least two academic references)
- Transcripts from your Bachelor and Master degrees
- Transcripts of your language certificates
The application deadline is February 29th 2020. Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
Please note: you are required to fill in an additional questionnaire before we can process your application, via this link: Questionnaire
A Game-Based assessment will be also part of the selection procedure.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of € 2.325,00 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 2.972 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.