The Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainable Development (CSTM), University of Twente (UT) and the 4TU.Federation strategic program on ‘Designing Systems for Informed Resilience Engineering’ (DeSIRE), the Netherlands, invite applications for a Tenure-Track Assistant/Associate Professor position in Governing Resilience of integrated RURBAN areas. Modern societies are confronted with a growing number of shocks leading to large-scale disruptions, ranging from extreme weather events to societal unrest. Rapid urbanization worldwide leads to the emergence of conglomerations and ‘networks’ of large and small cities, urbanized and rural regions—beyond the (mega) city. In those conglomerations, decentralized learning and constant adaptation among various actors foster resilience and technology for sustainable development. Urban and regional transformations add a spatial technological dimension (in delta’s, regions, towns, villages, agglomerations) to the transdisciplinary and cross-sectoral study of public governance for resilience. Such an approach would link innovative, systemic, and technology-driven resilience assessments and strategies (e.g. ‘smart regions’, ‘intelligent villages’, ‘digital delta’s’, computational ‘big data policy centers’) to behavioral and institutional perspectives on civic engagement, communal participation and common pool resource management. This Tenure-Track position is embedded within the Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) and will be part of the BMS Resilience Research Program. The new Assistant/Associate Professor is one of the 16 new tenure trackers funded by the 4TU.Federation strategic research program on resilience of social-technical-environmental systems ‘Designing Systems for Informed Resilience Engineering’ (DeSIRE). For more details refer to: https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/cstm/vacancies/
As a young scholar who aspires to become an academic leader in your field, you have an opportunity to establish an independent research line in the emerging area of Governing Resilience. Your key job responsibilities include:
- Research: develop a ‘Resilience Governance’ research line within the Department, Faculty and University, resulting in high quality journal publications and national and international scholarly visibility. (Co-)supervise PhD students towards a successful completion and disseminate research outcomes at internationally leading conferences.
- Education: undertake research-led teaching at different levels, contribute to existing courses (e.g. MSc Environmental and Energy Management, BSc Management, Society and Technology, and MSc Public Administration) and develop new courses. Supervise BSc and MSc students.
- Valorization: attract research funding individually and collaboratively to underpin high quality research and the potential for an impact beyond academia. Proactive engagement with governmental organizations and private sector is encouraged. UT provides support with preparing VENI/VIDI/VICI and ERC proposals.
- Organization: Contribute to organizational / administrative activities and committees within the CSTM Department and the BMS Faculty. You will form collaborations with other members of the DeSIRE program where building resilience is a long-term objective.
You are highly motivated and qualified academic who has an ambition to develop an internationally acknowledged and recognized research group on resilience governance. Ideally, you share an interest in technology and local self-governance, as well as governance assessment models and sustainable urban-rural development challenges. Areas of particular interest include, but are not limited to: climate resilient cities, spatial planning, integrated area development, European/regional/local governance.
- You hold a PhD degree in Public Administration, Political Science or a related discipline within social or sustainability sciences;
- You have experience as a post-doctoral researcher (for Assistant Professor level) / you have several years of experience working as an Assistant Professor (for Associate Professor level). You preferably have international research experience;
- You are have a strong interest in driving a research agenda that contributes solutions to Sustainable Development Goals;
- You deliver high quality research as proven by your publication record in peer-review journals;
- Experience with computational methods – including GIS, data analytics, complexity science, text mining, social media analysis and others – in applications to governance and (comparative) policy assessments is an advantage;
- You have a passion for teaching at BSc and MSc levels, have experience in delivering academic courses and/or course programs. You have good mentoring skills to (co-) supervise BSc, MSc and PhD projects;
- Experience in acquiring grants will strengthen your application;
- You have good communication and presentation skills, and an excellent command of English.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information please contact Prof.dr. T.Filatova, email@example.com . Please upload your application via the link below before May 5th 2019. Your application should include (1) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests, (2) a detailed CV with the full publications list, (3) a two-page statement with your personal vision on research and teaching, and (4) names and contact information of 3 references. The first interviews will take place on May 23rd . Reviews of applications will continue until the position is filled.
We offer talented academics a clear and attractive career path. You will be appointed for 4 years. After 4 years there will be an evaluation to decide about the permanent position, with the prospect of promotion to an Associate/Full Professor. During your career at UT, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. An employment at the UT entitles you to:
- Starting salary between € 3.637,- to € 6.133,- gross per month based on your experience and qualifications;
- Generous social security package, including minimum of 29 holidays per year; a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary; a year-end bonus of 8.3%; a solid pension scheme and possibilities to save up for a sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal improvement programs, including mentoring;
- UT offers an attractive benefits package, including a reduced rate for health insurance and access to sports facilities at work. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. There is a childcare located in the middle of the UT’s green campus and there is an international primary school in town;
- Being part of the strategic DeSIRE capacity building program, offers a unique opportunity to develop your research line within the network of academic scholars and practitioners focused on resilience, an opportunity to organize events and initialize projects that have an impact.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through 'social engineering' these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.