Are you passionate about programming and real-time applications? Are you interested in developing cutting-edge robots to help neurological patients move?
The Neuro-Mechanical Modeling & Engineering Lab at the University of Twente is seeking for a creative and motivated software engineer to work as part of the newly funded ERC Starting Grant INTERACT. This position will give you the opportunity to work on engineering challenges in a team of roboticists, biomechanists and neurophysiologists.
The ERC Starting Grant INTERACT:
This project will create neuro-robotic technologies that can interact with human muscles and spinal cord for repairing movement after neuromuscular lesions. The project will develop numerical models of the neuro-musculo-skeletal system that can capture an individual's anatomy as well as how it changes over time. These models will be used to establish new closed-loop control methods for robotic exoskeletons and spinal cord stimulators. For more information visit: http://bit.ly/NMLab.
- Co-develop a C++ software framework for the simulation of the human neuro-musculo-skeletal system.
- Co-develop a C++ software framework for the real-time control of spinal cord stimulators and robotic exoskeletons for neurological patients, i.e. stroke survivors.
- Design and implementation of real-time control applications using wired and wireless communication protocols.
- Design software architectures.
- Maintain a GIT repository.
- Contribute to the preparation of documentation and patent applications on new cutting edge technologies.
- M.S. degree in Computer Science, Applied Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related degrees required.
- Proven development experience (i.e. C, C++), using an OOP approach both under Windows and/or Linux.
- Knowledge of versioning software (e.g. Git).
- Organizational skills, creativity, motivation, and communication (oral and written) ability.
- 3+ years of experience in research and/or software development. Advanced education may count toward years' experience.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree with a focus on real-time control of robotic devices, e.g. exoskeletons, prostheses.
- Knowledge of digital signal processing theory.
- Knowledge of multi-body dynamics simulation software (e.g. OpenSim, Anybody).
- Fluent in written and spoken Dutch.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Apply via the web platform by March 10th, 2019. Applications should include the following documents:
- A cover letter (1-page max) describing your interests and why you want to apply for this position. Please, specify how your experience and skills match the position.
- A CV including English proficiency level, nationality, VISA requirements, date of birth as well as programming skills, experience, publication list (if any), and hobbies.
- Transcripts from your Bachelor and/or Master degrees.
- List of at least two references.
- Links to your homepage and code if available.
For more information on the open position you can contact Assistant Prof. Massimo Sartori, mail: email@example.com. Please, only apply via the web platform (not via email).
We offer a competitive fulltime position with a generous allowance:
- A full-time three-year position.
- A gross monthly salary between € 2.579 gross per month and € 3.895 depending on your education, experience and qualifications.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
- A proven pension scheme.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- World-class research facilities and working environment:
- Access to the new established Wearable Robotics Lab.
- Work location within a knowledge park with direct access to a large number of tech-companies and start-ups.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, embedded in the beautiful nature of the Twente region.
- Enjoyable work atmosphere with social events such as lab retreats.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.