The Department of Natural Resources of the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation at the University of Twente is looking for an Assistant Professor with experience in using LIDAR and/or Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) sensors to monitor vegetation.
The Department of Natural Resources works in the domains of Agriculture and Environment with a focus on food security, biodiversity and ecosystems (forests, wetlands, drylands). The department uses Earth observation data and spatial information in combination with systems modelling, geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing for the assessment, monitoring, planning and management of natural resources, for their sustainable use, development and restoration under global change.
We are seeking an enthusiastic colleague to complement our existing strengths in natural resources management.
You will take advantage of recent developments in LIDAR and/or SAR sensors to retrieve information about vegetation structure, biomass and condition. You will contribute to the development of remote sensing-based tools and applications such as forest carbon stock estimation, crop yield estimation and deriving Essential Biodiversity Variables.
You are excited to work in an international team with project activities around the world. You combine a drive for scientific quality and rigour with making a difference in global environmental issues. You enjoy collaborating to develop high-quality research outputs that demonstrate the societal impact of information from LIDAR and/or SAR sensors. You embrace Open Science. You have a passion for education and can teach topics such as the theory behind active sensors and how LIDAR/SAR data can be used to assess biomass, carbon stock and vegetation structure.
- A doctoral degree in forestry, ecology or environmental management
- A background in LIDAR and/or SAR remote sensing
- Recent and relevant high-quality publications in international journals
- An aptitude for teaching at Master or Bachelor levels in English
- Competency in programming (e.g. R, Python, IDL, MATLAB, C++, Java)
- Experience in undertaking international project work and enthusiasm to work in all regions that ITC is active
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm to work in a range of international and interdisciplinary contexts
- An excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information about this position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Andy Nelson (e-mail: email@example.com) You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before February 28, 2020 (choose “apply here” below). Your application must include (i) a motivation letter outlining your research and teaching interests and (ii) a CV with references.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for four years. Prolongation of the contract after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,637.- and € 4,978.- (depending on experience and qualifications, job profile Assistant Professor, level 2)
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary
- A year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.