Are you fascinated by exploiting games in a home environment to improve balance control in individuals with a stroke? Do you want to understand balance control in stroke survivors and how this can be assessed and improved?
The Department of Biomechanical Engineering, University of Twente, is looking for a 4-year PhD candidate on a project to improve balance recovery responses in persons with stroke and reduce the occurrence of falls by using a home-based exergame (exercise + gaming).
This PhD position will give you a unique opportunity to work in close collaboration with clinical partners (Radboud UMC and 6 rehabilitation centers), industrial partners and the final end users in identifying the requirements for the exergame and validating it! You will figure out the best system to quantify balance recovery response at home, derive balance recovery metrics to be used as control signals in the game, contribute to the design and development of the exergame by identifying requirements and implementing persuasive strategies and finally validate the technical and functional performance of the exergame.
The research is part of the HEROES project, funded by ZonMW and the Dutch Heart Association and you will intensively work together with a PhD student at the RadboudUMC who will focus on testing the clinical effectiveness of the exergames.
The position at the University of Twente is suited for you if you:
- are a highly motivated young scientist with a background and master in biomedical engineering, technical medicine, interaction technology, or human movement sciences (with a shown affinity with technology/device development).
- are an outstanding teammate who enjoys collaborating in a multi-disciplinary team,
- possess excellent skills and practical experience in one or more of the following research areas: biomechanics, neuroscience, measurement and analysis of human movement, requirements elicitation, computer science, software design
- have excellent writing and interpersonal skills in English. Knowledge and command of the Dutch language is highly preferred.
- have obtained your master degree by April 2020.
- have strong programming skills including two or more of the following programming packages MATLAB, Python, Unity and/or C+.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Applications should include the following documents (incomplete submissions will not be considered):
- A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests and why you want to apply for this position.
- A cover letter (1-page max) specifying how your experience and skills match the position.
- A detailed CV with a publication list and including contact information for at least two academic references
- Transcripts from your Bachelors and/or Masters degrees
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button below and upload the above mentioned documents (maximum of 3 documents) till March 1st, 2020.
For more information on the open position you can contact:
Associate Professor Edwin van Asseldonk
We offer a very challenging full-time position in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- We offer you a full-time four-year position;
- The gross monthly salary starts with € 2325,- per month in the first year and increases to € 2972,- per month in the fourth year of your employment based on a full-time employment;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.