The Department of Thermal and Fluid Engineering at the University of Twente is currently seeking for a postdoc in the field of hybrid energy systems. We are concerned with questions related to energy conversion and storage technologies for a sustainable society. Through theoretical analysis, numerical calculations and experimental investigations, we develop fundamental knowledge with applications in industry and the built environment. Priority is given to the efficient use of energy and the minimization of environmental impact of our future energy systems. Information about the department is available at: https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/tfe/research-groups/TE/
According to a recent IPCC report, greenhouse emissions have to drop dramatically to have a chance of keeping global warming below 1.5°C. For this purpose we need major breakthroughs, advanced technologies and new integrated renewable energy systems. Integrated networks of heat, gas and electricity systems with innovative energy conversion and storage technologies are required for the energy supply in our future cities, and without cooperation between very different stakeholders this transition will not be possible. In the present 2-years project you will develop innovative strategies by developing models to combine energy carriers such as heat, gas, electricity, and fuels for heating and cooling of the built environment and industry, power and water consumption and transportation. The aim is to utilize synergies in the energy system to maximize efficiency, minimize costs, reduce emissions and energy losses. The project is executed in close cooperation with a waste management company, SME, local government and startups as stakeholders of the future hybrid energy network.
• You hold a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or in a field that is closely related to this position.
• You have previous experience in energy systems modelling and analysis, renewable power generation, energy conversion and storage technologies.
• You have previous experience in smart energy systems not electricity grid alone but focusing on merging different energy carriers such as heat, electricity, gas and fuel.
• A holistic view of the energy system and energy markets including demand responses and integration of distributed energy resources.
• You have experiences in working with simulation software packages and relevant application toolbox, preferably in MATLAB/SIMULINK and Energy Equation Solver for the simulation of supply and demand in sustainable energy systems over time, taking into account technological and financial preconditions.
• You have knowledge of the European energy sector, and you have proven experience in working in European multidisciplinary teams. You have a set of cooperative skills that are essential to be effective in a Western-European entrepreneurial setting
• Your writing skills are good-you have written technical reports and/or scientific papers.
• You are a creative person that shows initiative with a hands-on mentality.
• You have excellent communication skills.
• You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
• A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
• Willing to be involved in educational tasks.
Information and application
You are welcome to contact Dr. ir. Yashar Hajimolana (email@example.com, +31- 534898462) and Prof.dr.ir G. Brem (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions you might have.
Please upload your application, including your CV, motivation letter, BSc and MSc grade lists, PhD degree, documentation providing your English proficiency, letter of recommendation and names of possible references via the ‘Apply now’ button.
The application deadline is January, 31, 2020.
Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
- A two-years fulltime Postdoc position.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A gross salary between € 3.255,- and € 4.978,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual end of year bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other extracurricular activities.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.