The XUV Optics group is embedded in the MESA+ Institute (www.mesaplus.utwente.nl), which is one of the largest nanotechnology research institutes in the world, delivering competitive and successful high-quality research. The institute employs 500 people of which 275 are PhD’s or PostDocs. With its unique NanoLab facilities the institute holds 1250 m2 of cleanroom space and state-of-the-art research equipment.
The XUV Optics Group at Twente has started a new multidisciplinary research program on these topics. We develop forefront fundamental research, relevant to high tech applications (www.utwente.nl/xuv/). The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with various academic and industrial partners.
Your goal is to develop the key material science required for mastering new piezoelectric thin films systems. This includes
- Exploiting new deposition schemes of piezoelectric thin films, including pulsed laser deposition and/or magnetron sputtering, aiming for optimal thin film materials performance.
- Developing the understanding of the piezoelectric film structures and their functional properties using characterization techniques such as AFM, XRD, SEM and DBLI and detailed analysis.
- Exploring alternative functional materials and methods suitable for new film stack geometries.
- You have a PhD degree in materials science, physical chemistry or engineering, solid state or surface physics or a related field.
- You have affinity with the realization of physical vapor deposition of piezoelectric thin films preferably PZT/PMN-PT/AlN and their optical, structural, and chemical analysis.
- You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
- You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film physics.
- You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
Your reaction should include:
- an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation for this particular project,
- a detailed CV, containing your publications list, contact details of referees, and an academic transcript of B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. education.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure. For detailed information, you can contact Prof. Fred Bijkerk at firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 53 489 2863 or Dr. Muharrem Bayraktar at email@example.com, +31 53 489 3910.
Applications can only be submitted online.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.