The Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Twente in The Netherlands invites applications for a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position in the field of computational condensed matter physics with focus on the modeling of electronic and optical properties of materials. We welcome candidates who integrate state-of-the-art electronic structure techniques in a multiscale environment, using molecular dynamics, density functional theory, or machine learning methodologies, for instance. The applicant will be embedded in the research and teaching activities of the Applied Physics Department within the Faculty of Science and Technology, and is expected to add expertise to the research within the Nanoelectronic Materials and Thin Films, and the Applied Nanophotonics Clusters. Areas of specific interest include optical, transport, thermal, and topological properties of bulk materials, surfaces, interfaces, and low-power electronics. Synergy with other experimental and theoretical groups in optics, fluids, and catalysis is desirable.
As an Assistant Professor in this position:
- You will spend your time on research and teaching; a reduced teaching load in the first years is the norm.
- You will give lectures in English. Mastering the Dutch language is not a prerequisite but, naturally, a long-term goal.
- You hold a PhD in a field that is closely related to this position.
- You have an existing track record in this field of expertise shown by publications in high rank journals and strong evidence of high research potential.
- Potential ability to attract research funding.
- Good teaching skills and willingness to take the University Teaching Qualification.
- Good coaching skills (BSc, MSc and PhD students).
- Good communication skills.
Information and application
Please send your application via the 'Apply now' button, and include:
- Your Curriculum Vitae.
- A covering letter and a complete list of publications.
- Your research and teaching statement.
- Two references we will contact.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our University. We encourage applications from all sections of society.
We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with attractive support infrastructures and campus facilities. The University provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- You will be appointed fulltime for 2 years with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation.
- The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- A starting salary from € 3.637 (scale 11) to € 5.656 (scale 12) gross per month, based on relevant work experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A minimum of 29 leave days in case of fulltime employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A solid pension scheme.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over six faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out pioneering research.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+ and MIRA. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.