The Department of Geo Information Processing (GIP) is a vibrant, multi-disciplinary scientific team, specializing in methods and techniques for processing (acquiring, organizing, analyzing) spatio-temporal data and information, and in building tools (models, algorithms, visualizations) that improve our understanding of complex and dynamic spatial systems and help in decision-making at multiple spatial and temporal scales.
From a technological perspective, our long-term ambition is to create a stack of distributed storage and AI-analysis and visualization modules that are connected to various sources of geospatial data, and capable of presenting relevant and actionable information products to stakeholders and decision-makers.
The diversity of research efforts of the department requires a dedicated geo-ICT expert who will lead the development of the GIP computational infrastructure, coordinates future procurement and training activities, and helps develop new solutions to meet the requirements of teaching, research and projects.
The tasks to be carried out by you include (but are not limited to):
- Stay ahead of developments in geospatial information technology and understand which are important for the department
- Support project acquisition and project execution activities related to geospatial information technology
- Design and implement free and open source solutions for geospatial data handling
- (Help) identify, develop and manage geospatial software stacks for various project, research, and educational activities.
The position will expand GIP and ITC capacities in at least one important technical area: Visualization (AR/VR, mobile eye-tracking) and big geodata science (distributed processing, and artificial intelligence/machine learning). With funding opportunities targeting such “hot” topics, having someone on board with demonstrable experience in these areas will clearly increase the quality of our proposals and strengthen the argument that we are the right department/institution to carry them out. Moreover, this position is designed to be complementary to the experience of our current geo-ICT colleague. This broadens our project acquisition options, also because we want to more actively explore “local” earnings (seek/start collaborations with municipalities, provinces, CBS, and other government bodies, which typically have access to data and relevant problems cases). Finally, we think that having a solid geo-ICT team offers additional opportunities to use the GIP labs and equipment in new projects.
- Augmented/Virtual reality and (geo-) information visualization (e.g. 3D/4D, VEGA)
- Users and usability studies (e.g. eye-tracking hardware and software)
- Advanced spatio-temporal analytics (e.g. machine learning and data-driven models)
- Distributed processing environments (e.g. Apache Hadoop and/or Spark)
- Mobile app development (e.g. Android)
- Geoweb services and OGC standards (e.g. MapServer, Geoserver, SWE)
Information and application
Please submit your application before 10 February 2020 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection, and (ii) a detailed CV.
We offer an inspiring international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility. In particular, you will have the chance to make a significant contribution to and influence on the development of geo computational resources at department level, demonstrating strategic and analytic thinking as well as planning, organization and team work skills.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,637.-- and € 4,978.-- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Developer ICT 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8 % of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %
- Facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.