Within the faculty of Engineering Technology, the department of Civil Engineering operates at the interface of Civil Engineering, Social Science (Public Administration and Management Science, urban planning and geography) and Data Science. We are a leading Civil Engineering department in the Netherlands with 50 academic staff, 650 students (bachelor and master), 30 PDEng students and 50 PhD students. Our research is fully in line with the strategy of the University of Twente, which goes under the motto High Tech, Human Touch. The Center for Transport Studies is one of the three groups within the department and conducts research in the areas of transport networks, land-use and transport interaction, travel behavior and smart mobility.
In the department is an opening for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Assistant Professor in Smart Mobility.
Technological, spatial and socio-economic developments are changing urban transport. App-based mobility services such as car and bicycle sharing, ride sharing and Mobility-as-a-Service offer new possibilities to expand and complement existing urban transport systems. At the same time, cities in the Netherlands are growing with an ageing population. Urban mobility is increasing with a stronger variety in the types of vehicles and speeds, such as fast e-bikes. The impacts of these changes on spatial mobility patterns, urban accessibility and traffic safety must be better understood. Moreover, there is a demand for more research on how changes in urban transport impact the travel needs, opportunities of different population segments, including low-income and elderly people. In sum, there is a need to research integrated urban transport systems. In doing so, there is a huge potential for (big) data collected from a wide range of sensors, e.g. smart cards, mobile phones, internet of things, to be used in transportation research and planning. Data science technologies, geo-spatial research and choice modelling opens opportunities to significantly improve our understanding of mobility patterns, urban accessibility and traffic safety, in particular for cyclists. To address all these issues, we invite you to apply for an assistant professorship position. Are you ready to strengthen and broaden our research portfolio on Smart Mobility?
- You hold a PhD in civil engineering, geography, spatial economics or related fields.
- Your research expertise comprises geospatial analysis, data science, travel behaviour research, choice modelling and traffic safety research.
- You have a strong interest in operating at the crossroads of different disciplines.
- You have a passion for teaching and for developing education that cultivate student-learning.
- You hold a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- Your communication skills in English are excellent.
Information and application
You are welcome to contact Prof. dr. Karst Geurs for any questions you might have (email email@example.com or phone +31 53 489 1056).
You will be appointed for two years, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer you:
- An international work environment, with colleagues from many different countries from all over the world.
- Excellent research facilities.
- A gross salary between EUR 3.255 and EUR 5.656 per month, depending on experience and qualifications.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of fulltime employment.
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- A family friendly institution.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.