Would you like to enable a family member to come to the Netherlands? Discover the possibilities! 

Those family members who wish to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, and who are not from Switzerland or a country within the European Union or the European Economic Area, need a residence permit. Several conditions apply to this residence permit.

In conformity with the rights and obligations of the Modern Migration Policy, the main applicant is the sponsor. This means that the main applicant is responsible for his or her family members in respect of the residence permit. The Office for Foreign Employees does, however, provide assistance with these applications.

A family member to the Netherlands

You wish to bring your spouse and/or child to the Netherlands for a stay exceeding three months. Either you or your spouse must apply for a residence permit as a family member or relative. The Office for Foreign Employees can handle the Entry and Residence (TEV) procedure for your family member(s). To arrange this, contact the HR department of your faculty.

The employee is a sponsor for his or her family members. This involves a number of obligations. The rights and obligations of being a sponsor lie with the employee with whom the family members will be staying. For more information, read the Immigration and Naturalisation Service's brochure entitled 'Enabling a Family Member or Relative to Come to the Netherlands'.

The Office for Foreign Employees will always handle the Entry and Residence procedure for you and your family members if you and the family members enter the Netherlands at the same time.

You wish to bring a family member or relative to the Netherlands for a stay of less than three months. In this case, the family member needs to apply for a short-stay visa from the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin.


Child benefit

You have come to the Netherlands to work and you live here with your child. You may be entitled to child benefit. You can find out whether you are entitled to receive child benefit by going to the website of the Social Insurance Bank (SVB).

Here you can also find more information about how to apply for child benefit.

Child care and schools

Our campus offers a day care centre and in the Enschede area you can find both a primary and a secondary international school.


The on-campus child care centres ‘De Vlinder’ (0-4 years) and ‘De Reuzenvlinder’ (4-12 years) offer daycare and after school programmes for children of on-campus UT employees. The child care centres include many outdoor activities in their daily routine as part of a ‘play and move in nature’ programme. A Green Council focuses on increasing environmental awareness. Facilities include a garden with a little patch of forest, use of UT open-air theatre, swimming pool, and sports facilities.

For information about child care costs and subsidies please contact the Vlinder daycare centre.


Looking for an international school for your child/children? Enschede has both a primary school and a secondary school. You can find more information on both schools on the International School Twente website.