Bredenoord is an energy solutions company that is increasingly providing its products and services to customers in collaboration with partners, while moving from a fixed price model to a model that is based on actual use and impact. Consequently, Bredenoord needs to become more data-driven. Data is needed to support decisions regarding partner coordination, internal process adaptation, predictive maintenance, pricing and billing, revenue, and cost distribution, and much more. When done properly, a data-driven organization will improve business performance and customer value. The major challenge for companies to become data-driven organizations is to implement a structured and controlled data environment, with smart use of data to quickly adapt to internal and external changes. You will address this challenge in this PDEng project, targeting the energy solutions industry, and considering the use cases of Bredenoord.
Are you passionate about high-end technological design? Do you want to continue developing your skills with a combination of education and work?
The Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) programme Business & IT offers you a 2-year position combining post MSc education and a design project to be carried out at Bredenoord.
The educational programme, carried out at the University of Twente, will have an in-depth and broadening character with ample attention for professional development and will be partly tailored to the design project. In collaboration with Bredenoord in Apeldoorn you will work on high level, creative new designs for complex issues.
The project – Data driven business performance and customer value in the energy solutions industry:
- Your main goal is to investigate how smart use of data can improve business performance and customer value of given primary processes that exist at Bredenoord.
- You will develop (1) a value model of business collaboration with joint market propositions and new pricing models, (2) an enterprise architecture of how such market propositions and pricing models can be provided with business performance through smart use of data, and (3) a dashboard or data-driven decision tool that can be used in one or more of the primary processes of Bredenoord.
- You will use techniques like value modelling (e3value), enterprise modelling (ArchiMate), and other modelling and software engineering techniques to develop the mentioned artifacts.
- You will cooperate with Bredenoord business lines and staff departments, covering commercial, performance and technology aspects of Bredenoord’s products and services.
- You hold a MSc degree in: Computer Science, Internet Science & Technology, Software Technology, Business Information Technology (BIT), Industrial Engineering and Management, Interaction Technology, or a related specialization;
- You have demonstrated affinity with design and multidisciplinary assignments;
- You have a passion for finding solutions for complex IT-related issues;
- You have excellent collaboration and communication skills;
- You are self-starting and self-motivating, willing to take initiatives and feel the responsibility for your own project.
Applicants with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, Internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
We offer a very challenging position for two years in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment. In this time, we will provide you with a tailor-made post-master design programme that has an educational component (~50%) as well as a design project (~50%). The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- A salary of € 1,970.- gross per month;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
On successfully completing the programme, you will receive a certified degree. You will be entitled to use the academic degree PDEng and will be registered as a Technological Designer in the Dutch register kept by the Royal Institution of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
Information and application
Please send your application before 31-08-2021 via the "Apply now" button below and include:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- List with grades of courses attended
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications.
If you have any further questions about this vacancy of the PDEng programme in Business & IT, please contact Marten van Sinderen, Services and Cyber-Security, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science:
Telephone: +31 53 4893677
About the organization
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.