A postdoctoral research position is available in the Hybrid Materials for OptoElectronics group Nijhuis of Prof Nijhuis, Department of Molecules and Materials, Faculty of The Faculty of Science & Technology, at the University of Twente with the aim to develop a platform to electrically excite plasmons in extremely small cavities. These devices benefit form extreme field enhancements that can be used to catalyse reactions and simultaneously follow them with SERS at the single-molecule level without the need for external light sources. Such devices will also enable us to address open questions regarding light-matter interaction under these extreme conditions. The challenges will be to fabricate stable pico-scale cavities and to setup a Raman system for in situ characterization of electrically driven devices.
- PhD degree in physics, preferably with a specialization in non-linear optic optics.
- Demonstrated experimental skill and a good understanding of theory (plasmonis, non-linear optics, theory, fabrication).
- You are a self-motivating person who enjoys solving a challenging task in a team of like-minded people.
- You are an independent thinker with excellent analytical and communication skills.
- You are fluent in English and an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
- The UT provides a dynamic and exciting scientific environment, lots of sports facilities (and other activities), and a green and lively campus. We offer a fulltime position with excellent working conditions in an inspiring multidisciplinary and international environment involving local and overseas collaboration;
- The Postdoc position is set for 2 3 years at the University of Twente, you will be appointed on a fulltime position;
- Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a salary ranging from €3.353,- gross per month at the start to €4.402,- depending on experience;
- Between 29 and 41 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Additional benefits include a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme.
Information and application
The position can be filled immediately.
Are you interested to be part of our team? Please send your application before September 1st, 2021 via the "apply now" button below, and include:
- an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for this position;
- Detailed CV including publication lists, include contact details of 3 academic references
- an academic transcript of B.Sc., M.Sc. education and a 2-3 (A4) page summary of your PhD dissertation
The selection procedure includes an interview and scientific presentation.
You are welcome to contact me, prof. dr. Christian A. Nijhuis on firstname.lastname@example.org and Femi Ojambati email@example.com for more information about the vacancy.
About the organization
TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology)
The Faculty of Science & Technology (Technische Natuurwetenschappen, TNW) engages some 700 staff members and 2000 students in education and research on the cutting edge of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Our fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally and is strengthened by the many young researchers working on innovative projects with as doctoral candidates and post-docs. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.