We are looking for a researcher to work on the NWO (The Dutch Science Organization) funded project “Reinforcement LeArning Platform for SMEs in Logistics (ReAL)”. This project aims to further develop and test a decision support platform that combines the ideas behind the hybrid intelligence paradigm and reinforcement learning with a common data model and industry standard (such as the Open Trip Model) in order to achieve data and process interoperability and support a broader range of logistics decision making processes. Thus, the ReAL project aims to
(i) Design, develop, test and implement a RL-based decision support platform based on the Open Trip Model (OTM) and accessible to logistic SMEs.
(ii) Complement the ReAL platform with teaching material and training to stimulate its dissemination of throughout the logistic SME community.
This entails that a participatory design approach will be employed with our industry partners. The future ReAL platform is extending an existing proof-of-concept prototype into an operational platform that we will deploy in an operational setting at our logistic partners.
You will be embedded in the Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems section of High-tech Business and Entrepreneurship Department (HBE) of the Faculty of Behavioral, Management and Social Sciences at the University of Twente (UT). The project will be conducted in close collaboration with several industry partners and technology providers. The project will be supervised by prof. dr. Maria Iacob and dr. Martijn Mes. For the development of the ReAL platform you will collaborate closely with the software company involved in the project, and the platform’s target group: several logistic service providers.
In this position, you will:
- be the contact person for all collaborators and partners in this project;
- be setting up and preparing project meetings;
- take care of ethics, privacy procedures and data management;
- participate in software development and testing activities;
- you will give training (in the form of demonstrations and workshops) to the intended end-users of the platform
Candidates we seek:
- Are highly motivated, positive and, independent researchers with a PhD degree in industrial engineering, business information technology, computer science or any other relevant discipline. Familiarity with machine learning approaches (in particular reinforcement learning) and operations research is a clear advantage.
- Have demonstrable interest and/or experience in research management tasks, such as those mentioned above, etc.
- Have demonstrable interest and/or experience in interdisciplinary collaboration between scientific researchers, software developers, and end-users.
- Like to think creatively and out-of-the-box.
- Have good team spirit, excellent organizational skills and an interdisciplinary attitude.
- Have excellent social and communicative skills, both within academia and in relation to industrial partners.
- Like to work in an internationally oriented environment where many cultures meet.
- Have excellent written and spoken proficiency in English. Proficiency in Dutch is not required but constitutes and advantage.
- Have interest and/or experience with problem solving and design science research.
- Experience with and positive attitude towards open and transparent science principles.
The UT provides a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment and a green and lively campus. We offer:
- A post-doc position ‘project management & research’ (1 fte) for one year.
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits.
- Gross salary: ranging from € 3.746,- to € 5.127,- per month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%).
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
- Good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
- A green campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community.
Information and application
Please apply via the "apply now" button below no later than Sunday, August 22nd and include
- a motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position;
- a detailed resume including the contact details of (preferably) two or more references;
For more information please contact Dr. Maria Iacob, email@example.com, +31(0)614028382. The application deadline is Sunday, August 22nd, 2021. The starting date for the position is 15 September 2021.
About the department
The HBE-department is one of four departments at the faculty. It is essentially an ambitious and steadily growing high-tech business school that merges business and entrepreneurship with tech innovation and social sciences to help companies and business people impact society. Research covers a broad spectrum of topics, such as the use of advanced mathematics to optimize logistics operations, boosting the use of Artificial Intelligence in the industry, design of inter-organizational information systems, training purchasing professionals, etc. For more information on these departments, see: https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/organization/departments-institutes/#department-clusters
About the organization
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) aims to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. By means of 'social engineering', we are here to integrate these advances in society. As a people-first tech university, we align these advances with the needs and behaviour of humans. We ensure proper public and private management as well as robust, inclusive and fair organisational structures. The faculty of BMS does this by developing, transferring and applying high-quality knowledge of Psychology, Business Administration, Public Administration, Communication Science, Philosophy, Educational Science, and Health Sciences. Our research and education in these disciplines is challenge-based. The BMS research programmes are directly linked to our research institutes: Mesa+ Institute for Nanotechnology, the TechMed Centre and the Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.