Additive manufacturing (AM) is the process of making a three-dimensional (3D), complex, freeform object from a digital model. Among standard AM techniques for processing materials without any resins or binders, laser powder bed AM has demonstrated the potential to fabricate the desired complex geometries. The core objective is to address challenges related to the resolution of laser powder bed AM to produce tailored 3D micro-to-macro pore structures with unique anisotropic microstructure and tailored properties.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher who will aid the research staff in understanding the AM of highly organized metal porous structures via laser powder bed AM. This includes experimental evaluation of thermophysical, (micro)structural, and mechanical properties of materials. It is preferable to have a background in physical metallurgy. Strong material characterization and non-destructive testing skills are required.
As a member of our research team, you will collaborate with experts from many disciplines such as materials science, heat transfer, and electrochemistry, as well as interact with industry partners. These opportunities will help you strengthen your interpersonal skills and expand your network across academia and industries. You will also cooperate with our experts on proposal writing while leading the publication of high-impact papers that are key for careers in both academia and industry.
As a Post-doc researcher in this project, your job is to:
- Work within a committed team of researchers to simulate, design of experiments, fabricate and characterize high-resolution structures via laser powder bed AM
- Utilize techniques such as optical microscopy, ultrasonic, computed tomography (CT), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) for microstructural characterization of the materials
- Conduct mechanical testing of materials using techniques such as tensile testing, hardness measurements, fatigue testing, etc.
- Present and report research findings, as well as publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner.
- Engage in educational activities
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline, and have a background in additive manufacturing technologies, mainly laser powder bed AM. In addition, you have
- Proficiency in the simulation of laser powder bed AM;
- Proficiency in characterization techniques such as ultrasonic testing, CT, SEM, EBSD, and TEM;
- A strong track record of productive and creative research, as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to communicate with an international scientific audience;
- Ability to work independently, participate creatively in collaborative teams, and adapt to ever-changing needs.
- A full-time contract for 36 months (with possibility of extension). The appointment length will be up to 24 months, with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
- A gross salary between € 3.408,- to € 4.474,- per month for a full-time position, depending on experience.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other extracurricular activities.
Information and application
Your application should include the following documents:
- A cover letter (in English) which explains your interest in the position and your qualifications for it;
- A curriculum vitae which also includes a list of publications and the name and e-mail address/telephone number for (preferably) two or more references;
- A copy of your PhD-thesis and two of your related scientific papers.
The application deadline is December 5, 2021. Interviews will be held in December.
For additional information about this position, or to receive the full text of the proposal, you can contact Dr. Davoud Jafari (email@example.com)
More information about the Department of Design, Production and Management (DPM) can be found on the following website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/et/dpm/
About the organization
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.