Are you seeking for challenging projects at the edge of what is technically possible? Are you interested in joining an open-source software initiative aimed at improving human movement and health? Do you want to help oversee management and working process of an R&D Lab.
The Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Technology, at the University of Twente is seeking for a creative and motivated software engineer as part of the ERC Project INTERACT. We develop advanced software to simulate how humans move (e.g., how our brain controls our muscles to create different movements) and to control wearable robots (e.g., bionic limbs and exoskeletons). We use specialized and advanced experimental setups, some of which we develop and integrate ourselves. We are a rapidly growing Department.
You will help develop a software framework to study human movement (and injury) assisted by advanced wearable robots, such as bionic prostheses and exoskeletons. You will also help manage the working process and organization of the Neuromechanics Lab. Our Department currently employs more than 70 people, including scientists, teachers and technicians, of different nationalities. You will be part of a team of R&D Engineering Technicians who complement each other. Many of our R&D projects are in collaboration with other research institutions and companies from the Netherlands and abroad
Contribute to maintain and extend our software framework for human movement modelling.
Write software for communication protocols and control of wearable robots.
Help maintain software repositories and documentation.
Identify requirements and wishes of computational and experimental set-ups to be developed.
Help manage working process and organization of research labs.
In some projects you will work independently, while in others you will collaborate with researchers as well as mechanical, electrical and control technicians. Due to the high integration with different fields (biomedical, mechanical, electronics), there is always an exchange of knowledge with your colleagues and growth opportunities.
- A strong desire to know how software and algorithms work, with passion for clean, robust and efficient code.
- Interest in helping manage working processes in research oriented laboratories.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or comparable degrees, e.g., HBO or WO level of the Dutch system.
- Proven experience with:
- C, C++, Python using an OOP approach both under Windows and/or Linux with reliance on design patterns.
- Automated build system management (e.g., CMake).
- Collaborative revision-controlled repositories (e.g., GitHub, GitLab, Bitbicket), documentation (e.g., Confluence) and issue tracking (e.g., Jira) systems.
- Communication buses and protocols (e.g., EtherCAT, CAN, I2C, SPI, UART, TCP/IP, UDP).
- Communicative, independent, enterprising, team player.
- Hands-on mentality, flexible and curious.
- Passionate and see technical problems as challenges.
- Eager to learn and longing for personal and professional development.
- English: Fluent.
- Additional qualifications:
Knowledge of frameworks for developing, delivering, and sustaining complex working processes (e.g. Scrum).
- Accessible code repositories that demonstrate your designs and implementations of computational tools used by fellow scientists and researchers.
- Extensive (re)use of (and contributions to) open-source APIs, e.g., R, TensorFlow, OpenSim, Simbody, FEBio.
- Knowledge of Twincat.
- Dutch: Fluent.
We offer a competitive fulltime position with a generous allowance:
- A 2-year full-time job.
- A gross monthly salary euro between euro € 2.920 and € 4.012 per month depending on qualifications. The terms of employment are in accordance with the CAO NU.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
- A proven pension scheme.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- World-class research facilities and working environment.
- Access to the new established Labs, e.g. Wearable Robotics Lab, Neuromechanics Lab.
- Work location within a knowledge park with direct access to a large number of tech-companies and start-ups.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, embedded in the beautiful nature of the Twente region.
- Enjoyable work atmosphere with social events such as lab retreats.
Information and application
Apply via the web platform before 17 May 2021. Applications should include the following documents:
- A 1-page cover letter describing why you want to apply for this position.
- A CV also indicating nationality, VISA requirements, date of birth.
- Transcripts from your university degrees.
- List of referees (if any).
- Links to your homepage and code (if available).
For information you can contact Assoc.-Prof. Massimo Sartori, mail: email@example.com, phone: +31534891441. Applications sent via email and not via the online platform will not be considered.
About the department
The ERC Starting Grant INTERACT: This project will create novel open-source software architectures for neuro-robotic technologies for repairing movement following neuromuscular lesions. This position will give you the opportunity to work on engineering challenges along with roboticists, biomechanists and neurophysiologists. For more information visit this link.
About the organization
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the ET Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.