Within the University of Twente the section of Governance and Technology for sustainability (CSTM) participates in the Digitalization of the Energy System (DES) research program of The Centre for Energy Innovation (CEI).
We are looking for a postdoc as researcher in number of interdisciplinary research projects. Our engineering colleagues study the technical possibilities for demand-side management and flexibility and the integration of (renewable) distributed energy sources in decentralized energy systems. Complementary you will study the governance, regulatory and economic factors that drive the changes in these systems. Additionally, you evaluate the societal impacts of the changes on consumers, producers, citizens, energy communities, government and the wider society.
This project requires a post doc who is proficient in writing and speaking Dutch and English. You need to be available on short notice, and a PhD in social-science such as in public administration, political science, planning, geography or economics is a strict condition.
The systems you will study are on different geographical and government scales and in various countries. They range from housing blocks to regions. All these cases are on the edge of what is technically and societally taking place in the renewable energy transition.
In this position, you will:
- Help to develop a comprehensive framework of governance and regulatory conditions for local energy systems;
- Analyze the social acceptability of renewable energy choices;
- Design social innovations in these energy systems;
- Evaluate the impact of the social innovations on these systems.
- A highly motivated researcher with a PhD degree in a relevant social science, such as in public administration, political science, planning, geography, economics or related;
- You have a shown interest and/or experience in energy studies and affinity with renewable energy technology;
- Good team spirit, excellent organizational skills and a transdisciplinary attitude;
- Excellent communicative skills, both within academia and in relation to societal partners;
- You like to work in an internationally oriented environment;
- Proficiency in Dutch and English is a requirement.
- The UT provides a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance, excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment and a green and lively campus;
- A postdoc position for a period of 2 years;
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits;
- Gross salary: ranging from € 3.353,- to € 4.402,- per month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%);
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development;
- Good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labour agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities;
- A green campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community.
Information and application
Please include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position, a detailed CV (resume) and a publication list. You can apply until 23 April 2021.
For more information please contact dr. F. Coenen, telephone (+31-(0)53-4893216, e-mail: email@example.com.
About the department
The CSTM section is embedded in the department of Technology, Policy and Society (TPS), one of the four departments of the faculty Behavioral, Management and Social Science (BMS). Within this larger academic community there is a multifold of teaching and research activities offering opportunities.
The University of Twente (UT) is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and give hardworking researchers scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
About the organization
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) aims to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. By means of 'social engineering', we are here to integrate these advances in society. As a people-first tech university, we align these advances with the needs and behaviour of humans. We ensure proper public and private management as well as robust, inclusive and fair organisational structures. The faculty of BMS does this by developing, transferring and applying high-quality knowledge of Psychology, Business Administration, Public Administration, Communication Science, Philosophy, Educational Science, and Health Sciences. Our research and education in these disciplines is challenge-based. The BMS research programmes are directly linked to our research institutes: Mesa+ Institute for Nanotechnology, the TechMed Centre and the Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the BMS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.