The Department of Biomechanical Engineering at the University of Twente invites candidates for an assistant or associate professor position to complement, extend and strengthen the department's competence in computational biomechanics.
Computational Biomechanics is a promising research field that seeks to understand the complex biomechanical behaviors of normal and pathological human human tissue as well as the musculoskeletal system. The resulting knowledge and computational models feed into novel methods of orthopedic treatment and rehabilitation. Our department research programme focuses on 1) advancing understanding of skeletal muscle, joint tissue and bone mechanics in healthy, pathological and surgically reconstructed scenarios, 2) advancing computational multi-scale models to estimate muscle contraction and bone interaction, and 3) generating personalized predictions from these advanced musculo-skeletal models and from medical imaging.
We are looking for a promising and passionate Assistant/Associate Professor who will be working on diverse projects in the area of FE modelling, continuum mechanics and medical imaging.
Candidates should have a successful scientific track record and be able to formulate an independent research program addressing current scientific and technological challenges. The candidate is expected to participate in the teaching of courses offered by the department at Bachelor and at Master level to the educational programs technical medicine, industrial design, mechanical engineering, and biomedical technology.
- PhD degree and expertise in a field relevant for the position.
- Passion for teaching and you hold a University Teaching Qualification for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- Ability to supervise, train, and support junior researchers.
- Ability to define and pursue an own research direction, evidenced by the track record and recommendations.
- Ability to design and deliver clear and engaging education.
- Ability to collaborate in research, educational and organizational projects.
- Proficient in written and oral English.
- Proficient in written and oral Dutch or willing to learn and master Dutch to lecture and interact with students in Dutch.
- Interpersonal and organizational skills, motivation, and communication (oral and written) ability.
- Experience in writing research proposals and obtaining external funding.
We offer a position with a generous allowance:
- A full-time position, initially for two years but with the prospect of permanent employment after positive evaluations.
- 30% tax ruling option and a pension scheme.
- A gross salary between € 3.746,- and € 6.940,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications;
- Additional benefits include a holiday allowance of 8 % of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %.
- A minimum of 29 holidays.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- Well-equipped labs with professional lab technicians, like the Neuromechanics, Surgical Robotics and Wearable Robotics Labs.
- Possibilities to collaborate with clinical departments.
- Proximity to Enschede, a mid-size city with a large social offer, immersed in the nature of the Twente region.
- Fun work/lab atmosphere with social retreats.
- If you do not speak Dutch, we offer courses to learn the Dutch language.
We especially encourage women applicants. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.
Information and application
Applications must include the following documents:
- A video (2-minute max) describing your scientific interests and why you want to apply for this position.
- A cover letter (1-page max) specifying how your experience and skills match the position as well as summarizing work.
- A CV including English proficiency level, nationality, visa requirements, date of birth, experience overview, and publication list.
- Contact information for at least two academic references. A support letter will be requested only if your application is considered.
Please, only apply via the web platform and not via email since only the former will be considered. Applications submitted before 19th of April will receive full consideration.
For questions about this position, please contact Prof. H. van der Kooij (email@example.com).
About the organization
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the ET Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.