Are you a highly motivated individual who would like to pursue a PhD degree and develop innovative research work at the interface of computational mathematics, machine learning and simulation science?
We are calling for applications for a PhD position in the Applied Analysis (AA) group at University of Twente (UT)’s Department of Applied Mathematics to work in the area of physics-informed machine learning.
About the project
Research activities of this PhD position focus on the synergistic integration of modern numerical methods for PDEs and recent machine learning techniques, especially based on artificial neural networks and Gaussian processes. The successful candidate will develop physics-informed machine learning methods towards real-world engineering and/or medical applications. Such research initiatives address the drawbacks of conventional numerical methods and seek to enable data-enhanced predictive modeling through model order reduction, multi-fidelity data fusion, and machine learning.
The successful candidate may also be involved in teaching activities in the bachelor’s and/or master’s programs of Applied Mathematics.
We look for an enthusiastic individual who is driven by curiosity and has:
- -or will shortly acquire, a master’s degree in applied Mathematics, computational science or engineering;
- Knowledge in machine learning and/or uncertainty quantification;
- Experience with numerical methods for solving PDEs;
- Demonstrated programming skills;
- Good communication skills in a collaborative working environment;
- Proficiency in English;
- In addition, knowledge in applied mechanics would be an advantage.
We offer an exciting temporary research position in a dynamic and international environment. The University of Twente offers excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community.
- You will be appointed on a full-time PhD position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year.
- You will have a full status as an employee at UT, including pension, health care benefits, 29-41 leave days and good secondary conditions are part of our collective labor agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
- The salary will range from EUR 2.395,- (1st year) to EUR 3.061,- (4th year) per month, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%).
- We also offer facilities for professional and personal development.
- A PhD student at the UT will be a member of the Twente Graduate School. We provide our PhD students with excellent opportunities to broaden their scientific knowledge in preparation for their future career within or outside academia. Participation in national and/or international summer schools and workshops and visits to other prestigious research institutes and universities can be part of the doctoral studies.
Information and application
Interested to be part of our team? Please send your application via the 'Apply now' button below and include:
- an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position;
- an updated CV including a list of relevant courses during your master’s studies, research activities in which you have participated, and a short description of your master’s thesis; and
- contact information (addresses and emails) of two referees.
This open position is expected to be filled as soon as possible. For more information you are welcome to contact Dr. Mengwu Guo (email@example.com). We accept applications until May 21, 2021. Evaluation will begin in early May and continue until the position is filled.
- SACS research team at UT: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/sacs/
- Dr. Mengwu Guo: https://mengwuguo.weebly.com/
- Prof. Dr. Christoph Brune (leader of the AA group): https://people.utwente.nl/c.brune
- Digital Society Institute: https://www.utwente.nl/en/digital-society/
- Technical Medical Centre: https://www.utwente.nl/en/techmed/
About the organization
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.