The Services and Cyber Security (SCS) group at the University of Twente, together with the Design and Analysis of Communication Systems (DACS) group, is looking for a postdoc to join the research team, working at the intersection between mobile security and privacy, machine learning, and web measurement. The successful candidate will be involved in a collaboration with the University of Toronto and the Hospital for Sick Children in Canada. The project is an investigation into data sharing practices, privacy leaks, and targeted advertisements in mobile health apps for children. Mobile apps routinely transmit user (health) data to third parties and commercial entities to improve the user experience or monetize the app through targeted ads. It is therefore critical to characterize the data sharing practices of child health apps and examine the advertising impact of transmitted data. Within this project, you will:
- Perform research activity in the design and development of novel tools to detect privacy leaks in Android and iOS apps and evaluate data sharing practices of a large corpus of mobile apps.
- Perform web scans and conduct a systematic content analysis of targeted advertising presented to children within apps, as well as apply machine learning techniques to characterize ad content.
- Participate in the supervision of research students working on related projects.
- Collaborate with health experts and social scientists involved in the project.
You will work closely with Dr. Andrea Continella from the Services and Cyber Security (SCS) group (https://utwente.nl/scs) and Dr. Ralph Holz from the Design and Analysis of Communication Systems (DACS) group (https://utwente.nl/dacs).
- A highly motivated, positive and a hardworking researcher, aspiring to do world-class research and having real-world impact;
- A PhD degree with an excellent publication record in computer science or a related field; applications from candidates who are about to complete their PhD degree will be considered as well;
- Specialized in the domain of cybersecurity and a strong background in networks and system security; a solid background in mobile security, machine learning, and Internet-wide measurements are of additional advantage;
- An independent and original thinker with a creative mindset and excellent analytical and communication skills;
- Proficiency in English (at least C1 in CEFR or 3+ in ILR).
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- A fulltime postdoc position for 12 months. Starting date will be in consultation;
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits;
- Gross salary from € 3.353 per month depending on experience and qualifications, plus holiday allowance (8%) and end-of-year bonus (8.3%);
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
Information and application
Are you interested in joining our team? Please submit your application before 10 April 2021 via the “Apply now” button below, and include:
- A detailed CV (resume), containing your publications list and contact details of 3 referees.
- An academic transcript of Ph.D. education (if not available yet, provide an academic transcript of M.Sc. and information regarding the expected graduation date).
- A motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for this position.
You are welcome to contact Dr. Andrea Continella (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions you might have.
About the organization
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.