Are you passionate about high-end technological design? Do you want to continue developing your skills with a combination of education and work? The Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) programme Robotics offers you a 2-year position combining post MSc education and a design project to be executed at Alliander.
The educational programme, carried out at the University of Twente, will have an in-depth and broadening character with ample attention for professional development and will be partly tailored to the design project. In collaboration with Alliander in Arnhem you will work on high level, creative new designs for complex issues.
About the project: Roboconnect, development of a robotic solution for live cable splicing
Due to the current energy transition, the demand on our electricity net is constantly growing. Currently 20.000 to 30.000 new connections should be made on a yearly basis and this number will increase in the coming years. Down time on the net is not an option, and therefore, new connections need to be build on a ‘live’ grid. In order to increase productivity and safety, we require new robotic solutions which is the main goal of this project.
- You will develop robotic solutions that can perform under difficult conditions performing tasks that are (too) dangerous for human operators;
- You will use state of the art mechatronics design, as well as tele-presence, haptic feedback, AI, and computer-vision to build a co-bot: a robot tool that can collaborate with the human operator in charge;
- You will work from the Robotics and Mechatronics lab, where there is much experience in all said topics, and you will collaborate directly with (field) specialists from Alliander.
- A MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Industrial Design Engineering, Embedded Systems, Mechanical Engineering, Systems & Control, Telematics, Industrial Design, or a related robot-technical field.
- Proven affinity with design and multidisciplinary assignments;
- Passion for finding solutions for complex technological issues;
- Strong collaboration and communication skills;
- Self-starting and self-motivating, willing to take initiatives and feel the responsibility for your own project;
- Alliander is a Dutch company: although not required (basic) knowledge of the Dutch language is desirable.
Candidates with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score higher than 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
- A full-time position for two years, with a salary of € 1.970,- gross per month, plus a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%;
- A tailor-made post-Master’s design programme combining education (50%) and working on a design project (50%);
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
On successfully completing the programme, you will receive a certified degree. You will be entitled to use the academic degree PDEng and will be registered as a Technological Designer in the Dutch register kept by the Royal Institution of Engineers in the Netherlands (KIVI).
Information and application
Are you interested to join our team? Please send your application via the 'Apply now' button before 10 March 2021, and include:
- A detailed curriculum vitae;
- A letter of motivation;
- A list with grades of courses attended;
- References and, if applicable, a list of publications.
If you have any further questions about this vacancy of the PDEng programme in Robotics, please contact Edwin Dertien: firstname.lastname@example.org, or via +31 53 489 2778.
About the organization
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the EEMCS Faculty offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With our Faculty, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customizable conditions.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.