We are looking for 3 PhD students who carry out technological and fundamental research on hybrid integrated semiconductor lasers and nonlinear optical conversion using integrated photonic circuits. The PhD students will work towards three directions:
- Hybrid integrated, single-frequency semiconductor lasers to reach the blue spectral range, providing tunability and record-narrow linewidt
- Hybrid integrated mode-locked semiconductor lasers that provide frequency combs with ultra-low jitter
- Supercontinuum generation and micro-resonator Kerr frequency combs for novel approaches in dual-comb imaging
The projects will extend our internationally leading position in the fields of chip-sized diode lasers with record- narrow Townes-Schawlow linewidth (DOI 10.1364/OE.398906), the realization of hybrid-integrated diode laser in the visible (DOI 10.1117/12.2565028), and of chip-based comb generation with record wide spectral coverage (DOI 10.1364/OE.23.019596). The research projects comprise all aspects from basic physics, e.g., modeling of laser dynamics and nonlinear conversion, design engineering of photonic integrated circuits and opto-electronic control, and proof-of concept demonstrations. The projects are carried out in collaboration with industrial partners that perform the fabrication, integration and packaging of photonic circuits and devices, and that are interested in applications.
We are looking for candidates with a MSc degree in physics, physics engineering or photonics engineering, with a good background in lasers and modelling (e.g. VPI), in nonlinear optical conversion and spectroscopy, or in waveguide design and simulation (e.g. Lumerical and Comsol). The candidates should have experimental experience with guided-wave optics, e.g., in aligning optical waveguides or with characterization of waveguide circuits.
Suitable candidates have proficient oral and written English language skills, and are well-capable of scientific communication, also towards non-expert partners. Female candidates are equally encouraged to apply as we strive for working in a well-balanced team.
- We offer you a four-year full-time position
- We provide excellent mentorship in a modern and a vivid research environment, with state-of-the art research facilities.
- You benefit from a professional and personal development program
- A stimulating scientific environment
- Gross salary ranging from € 2395 to € 3061 (4th yr) per month
- Holiday allowance (8%), end-of-year bonus (8.3%)
- Good secondary conditions
- A green Campus with lots of sports facilities.
Information and application
- A specific description of why you want to apply for one of the named positions – please do not send general application letters.
- A detailed CV (resume) with publication list
- An academic transcript of BSc and MSc education
- A high TOEFL score (> 90 or 100) or IELTS score (> 6.5 or 7) is generally required.
Starting date: winterr/spring 2020/2021, depending on circumstances.
About the department
We are an international team with diverse backgrounds reaching from theory, experimental physics, to optical and electrical engineering. We enjoy working with integrated photonics using methods from laser physics, nonlinear optics, photon-phonon-interaction and microwave photonics. Our goal is to provide leading progress in physics and technology of photonic light sources that are relevant for emerging applications, such as in optical communications and processing, precision metrology or optical sensing. We are part of a group of some 80 people that explore, within the research cluster Applied Nanophotonics (ANP), multiple aspects of modern photonics. These include integrated quantum optics, control of light scattering, XUV optics, laser processing, biomedical imaging, photonic crystals, photonic materials and sensing.
Additional information can be found at https://lpno.tnw.utwente.nl/
For detailed questions, please contact Prof. Klaus Boller. email@example.com
About the organization
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.