We are developing a platform for label-free characterization of single (bio)molecules and nanoparticles, bringing lab-on-a-chip concept to the ultimate single molecule resolution. Your research will be focused on engineering of chip-based electric tweezers for trapping/actuation of single (bio)molecules and optical readout of their behavior in the trap. Are you passionate about this research? You can become a part of this endeavor at the Lab-on-a-Chip (BIOS) group! We have all you need to execute your ambitious research: cleanroom facilities, optical, electronic and chemical labs and most importantly lots of fun people to work with.
Competences you will develop during your PhD with us:
- Nanofabrication; the single-molecule electric tweezers will be fabricated at the MESA+ cleanroom of the University of Twente.
- Advanced optics; we will study the molecules in our traps using custom-made light scattering microscope.
- Electrodynamics; for engineering of the electric tweezers and understanding the behavior of the analyte molecules.
- Data analysis
- Measurement automation
- Scientific writing
- Soft skills (presentation skills, time management, teamwork)
- Supervision of students and teaching skills
- You are a very enthusiastic, positive and hardworking researcher and highly motivated about this project;
- You have, or will shortly acquire, a MSc degree in the field of Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Nanotechnology, Bionanoscience or a related field;
- Previous experience in nanofabrication, advanced optics and/or programming is highly encouraged, but not obligatory;
- You are a creative person and have excellent analytical and communication skills;
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented environment;
- You are proficient in English.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO) and include:
- A fulltime PhD position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year.
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits.
- The salary will range from € 2.434,- (1st year) to € 3.111,- (4th year) per month, plus a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Excellent facilities for professional and personal development.
Starting date of the position: as soon as possible.
Information and application
Are you interested to be part of our team? Please submit your application before October 23, 2021 via the ‘Apply now’ button below and include:
- A motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for a PhD position in our group.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae including your publications, awards, and working experience. Your CV should demonstrate the scope of your work and education and indicate a good fit with the stated requirements for the position.
- An academic transcript of BSc and MSc education, including grades.
- A short description of your MSc thesis/final project.
- References (contact information) of two scientific staff members (one of whom should be the supervisor of your MSc thesis/final project) who are willing to provide a recommendation letter at our request.
For further information about this position, please contact Sergii Pud (email@example.com).
About the department
The BIOS Lab-on-a-Chip chair (“Miniaturized systems for biomedical and environmental applications”) aims at the research and development of Lab-on-a-Chip (LOC) systems. The BIOS group is embedded within the MIRA institute for biomedical research and technical medicine, and the MESA+ institute for Nanotechnology. MESA+ is one of the world’s largest nanotechnology research institutes; and it’s the largest research institute in this field in the Netherlands.
For further information, click here.
About the organization
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) uses mathematics, electronics and computer technology to contribute to the development of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). With ICT present in almost every device and product we use nowadays, we embrace our role as contributors to a broad range of societal activities and as pioneers of tomorrow's digital society. As part of a people-first tech university that aims to shape society, individuals and connections, our faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad, and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. Our research has a high profile both in the Netherlands and internationally. It has been accommodated in three multidisciplinary UT research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centre and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.