Are you fascinated to develop advanced materials for thermal fluid engineering applications? Do you have an experience on synthesis and characterization of functional materials?
We are looking for a 4- year PhD researcher to reinforce our team!
In this project we will engineer a tailor-made Carbon Nano Tube (CNT)-based hybrid fluid for enhanced heat removal from thermally highly-stressed electrical and mechanical components. Despite the tremendous potential of CNT’s with thermal conductivities up to 6000 W/mK, CNT-based nanofluids suffer from three limitations: CNT misalignment, interfacial resistances, and conductivity reduction by interference with surrounding media. This project aims to overcome these limitations by developing a new heat transfer fluid that raises the unique microscopic properties of CNT to a macroscopic level.
The position requires an individual with high level of experience and qualifications related to advanced materials, high level analytical capability with proficiency in experiments and an excellent set of skills in the use of relevant analytical equipment.
More in detail, the successful candidate will focus on:
- Fabrication and characterization of microparticles with embedded CNTs
- Study the thermal conductivity of nanofluids with and without aligned materials
- Candidates should have recently obtained a master’s degree in physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or Materials Engineering with outstanding achievements.
- Candidates should have a strong theoretical and experimental background in at least one of the following topics: convective heat transfer, polymers, functional materials
- A background in experimentation, knowledge of materials characterization and microfluidics is desirable.
- Your writing skills are good - you have written technical reports and/or scientific papers.
- You have strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently as well in a team.
- You have excellent communication skills and good
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- You have experience in doing multidisciplinary based research.
- You have an interest in contributing to a high quality, impactful working team with several PhD candidates
- You have an interest in contributing to a high quality, impactful working team with several PhD candidates.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industry.
- A starting salary of € 2.434,- gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.111 gross per month in the fourth year.
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
Information and application
You are welcome to contact Prof. Dr. Wilko Rohlfs: email@example.com for any questions you might have.
Please upload your application via the ‘Apply now’ button before 30 September 2021. Your application must include:
- A video (maximum of two minutes) explaining your scientific interests and why you wish to apply for this job. In your CV document, please attach a web URL for video direct download.
- A cover letter exposing the candidate motivation for this position.
- An up-to-date CV, detailing work experience and research and academic achievements
- Transcript of records (applicant’s ranking and marks) for both Bachelor degree and Master degree.
- Documentation proving your English proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL score)
- At least two reference letters from a (former) supervisor, professor, or a manager with contact information.
Only complete submissions that include all the aforementioned documents will be considered for future processes.
A first selection will be made based on this written application. A selected group of applicants will be invited for an interview.
Please note that this vacancy is only open to female scientists. This is part of the University of Twente’s strategy to increase the proportion of women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.
A Game-Based assessment will be also part of the selection procedure.
About the organization
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.