A 4-year PhD position at the University of Twente (UT) is available within an NWO project on numerical simulation of capillary suspensions, called "Next generation materials via controlled capillary suspensions". The position is at the Multi-Scale Mechanics group (MSM) of the department of Thermal and Fluid Engineering (TFE). The offered PhD position is part of a joint research project with the University of Wageningen.
Capillary suspensions feature networks of liquid bridges between particles suspended in two immiscible liquids. This emerging energetically-driven phenomenon has the potential to revolutionize materials design and to quickly push food technology and pharmaceutical industries toward new sustainable development models.
The PhD student will use microscopic numerical methods, namely molecular dynamics (MD) simulations and dissipative particle dynamics (DPD) to build a hybrid all-atom-mesoscale model of capillary suspensions in order to explore their rheological behavior. The goal is to reveal how liquids interact and adsorb on the surface of particles, and expose the multiscale mechanisms behind the formation of liquid bridges and the formation of meso/macro-structures. Experiments will be performed in collaboration with the University of Wageningen to validate the numerical models.
We welcome applications from candidates with a MSc degree or equivalent in physics, material science, chemistry, fluid mechanics or related fields. Knowledge on particulate suspensions, emulsions, or interfacial phenomena is highly appreciated. Experience with numerical simulations (molecular dynamics, DPD or other small scale methods) is advantageous. Proficiency in spoken and written English, with good interpersonal communication skills is a requirement.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please upload your application, including the following documents, as a *single* PDF file through the button below.
- A motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivation to apply for this position.
- A detailed CV including a short summary of your MSc research and contact information of at least two references that may be consulted.
- MSc grade list.
The application deadline is October 15th, 2020.
A Game-Based assessment will be also part of the selection procedure.
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
· We offer a four-year fulltime PhD position.
· We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
· You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate.
· A starting salary of € 2.395,00 gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.061,00 gross per month in the fourth year.
· An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.A solid pension scheme.
· Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
· We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth.
· The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
Your first responsibility is to carry out the research and publish your work in scientific journals and proceedings. You are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and international conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.