We are looking for a motivated and skilled post-doctoral researcher to work on characterization of XUV optics. These optics basically consist of optical stacks of films of nanoscale thickness and come in reflective and transmissive types. The physics and chemistry of these thin film systems need to be controlled and characterized with atomic precision.
The aim of our research group is to develop the physics solutions for these tasks, such that new applications can be realized. These range from multi-layered optics engineered to show near-theoretical XUV reflectivity to highly transparent, few tens of nanometer thin membranes which are robust enough to withstand high XUV power levels. The tasks include the fine-tuning of complex optical indices by altering electronic structures, the reduction of layer roughness levels to a tenth of a nanometer, the control of thin film stresses to below a GPa, and the limitation of thermally and chemically induced diffusion processes. These processes require new types of diagnostics with adequate resolution to film thickness and high sensitivity to chemical state.
The XUV Optics Group at Twente has started a new multidisciplinary research programme on these topics. We develop forefront fundamental research, relevant to high tech applications (www.utwente.nl/xuv/). The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with various industrial partners.
A postdoctoral research position is open for application and development of complex hybrid metrology with the unprecedented sensitivity. At the XUV optics group we have a set of in-house developed and commercially available techniques for characterization of complex nm-scale films. Your responsibility will be the development of specific metrology solutions for thin-film structures studied in the XUV Optics Group.
• Improvement of the accuracy of both measurements and data analysis and the uniqueness of current X-ray measurements;
• You have evidenced experience in X-ray analysis of thin films and interfaces.
• You have affinity with the development of new or extension of existing characterization techniques.
• You have confirmed experience with scientific data analysis. Advanced knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis is an advantage.
• You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
• You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film metrology.
• You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
• Detailed CV, publication list, contact details of referees, an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education;
• A pdf of your PhD thesis.
Please send your applications to the link below.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.