The Marketing & Communications (M&C) department consists of four teams: Communications, Marketing, Alumni & Development Office, and Medialab. In the context of an integrated approach, M&C contributes to realising the ambitions of the University of Twente. Our goals are to strengthen the reputation of the university, to create ambassadors among our employees, students and alumni, and to help strengthen the inflow of students, research projects and funds. In this role, we also support the faculties, institutes and service departments. In your job, you will primarily work specifically for the ITC faculty, and in addition as a member of the corporate communications team, but this may change in the future. In this role, you will be an important intermediary between the scientists and the corporate content team you are part of.
ITC is the University of Twente’s Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation. Our mission is to develop capacity, particularly in less developed countries, and to utilize geospatial solutions to deal with national and global problems.
Our vision is that spatial solutions will play an increasingly important role in meeting many of mankind’s complex challenges (often wicked problems), such as climate change, population growth, and related claims for sufficient and secure food, water, energy, health, land and housing provision.
Therefore, our goal is to enhance our standing as an internationally recognized knowledge hub in the spatial domain, renowned for its collaborative educational and research activities, particularly in the global South.
- Within the Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation faculty, you are the first point of contact for communication issues, which you address yourself or in close cooperation with marketing and communication colleagues. The focus is on the positioning of ITC education and research, and strategic communication to support the implementation of the Shaping 2030 strategy.
- Together with your M&C colleagues, you advise the faculty board and scientists, and convert your advice into an annual plan for marketing and communication, including a schedule and a ‘measurable’ communications approach (content, resources, events). Internally, your communication efforts help strengthen the collaboration between the faculty board, the department and other parts of the University. Additionally, in the coming years the new housing will require communication support.
- You assist the scientists within the faculty with their presentation to the outside world, by means of individual advice, media training, press releases, online presence on websites, or a communication toolbox to support project applications.
- You write clear and engaging texts for different audiences: from press releases to social media contributions, and from presentations to news items for e.g. University College Twente, and contributions to ITC magazine. You focus on the motivation and interests of e.g. partners, prospective students, alumni, the field of work, and ministries.
- You are able to identify outside-in and inside-out communication opportunities and risks in (international) media and society to make our scientific and social impact and the relevance of our policies visible. You actively engage in generating free publicity about our education programmes, our research, and our capacity building projects.
- For this great job we are looking for a hands-on colleague with a completed education in communication at a higher professional or academic level and at least five years of experience in internal and external communication.
- You have experience as a communications advisor in a complex (preferably international) organisation and a feeling for (political) relationships within large organisations. You think quickly and strategically, and you are also action-oriented, and like to put your ideas into practice.
- You are inquisitive by nature and you have affinity with our field of research, education and projects. You are able to convey your passion for and interest in these (complex) subjects in a clear, concise, and active writing style for both online and printed media.
- You are a team player and intermediary who is able to switch between the communication interests of the ITC community and those of the UT as a whole. You are good at collaborating with scientists in communicating their message to the outside world and using smart ways to ensure the message is received by society.
- You think outside-in, you are proactive and act decisively, you have a helicopter view, and you can easily switch perspective and change priorities.
- You have an international mindset and you have excellent command of the Dutch and English language, both orally and in writing (C1 level), and you have excellent writing skills in both languages. You are also familiar with the (social) media landscape, and you are able to think in pictures and video.
- You recognise yourself in the core values of the University and have competencies that are relevant for M&C, such as organisational sensitivity and ownership.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For information about this vacancy, please contact Ratna Toering, Head of Communications, telephone +31 (0) 53-489 2212. Please submit your application, along with a current CV, via the link below before 17 August 2020.
Screening can be part of the selection procedure.
We offer you a challenging job for 24-38 hours a week in a dynamic working environment, initially for a period of one year. Your gross salary is max. € 4.402,- based on full-time employment in accordance with salary scale 10 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities. Extension of the employment contract is possible.
The University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology’ we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech, Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people and society through the sustainable utilization of science and technology. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains:
- Improving healthcare by personalized technologies
- Creating intelligent manufacturing systems
- Shaping our world with smart materials
- Engineering our digital society
- Engineering for a resilient world
‘The University of Twente is the ultimate people-first university of technology. We empower society through sustainable solutions.’ Mission University of Twente
UNIVERSITY OF TWENTE. HIGH TECH HUMAN TOUCH
The job of our Marketing & Communication (M&C) Department is to help the University of Twente carry out its vision for the coming decade: ‘Shaping 2030’. M&C does this by optimally applying its marketing and communication resources to connect us with our internal and external target groups. The department’s strategy focuses specifically on linking us to the right talent – in terms of quality, diversity and quantity. This involves strengthening our reputation, branding, profile and visibility, and by drawing the attention of prospective students, existing students, new and current staff, alumni, corporate connections and investors. This attraction of talent enables us to fulfil our role in society more effectively and to create a broader, stronger network of ambassadors for the University of Twente – a process that is self-reinforcing.
We highly value quality and our open, inclusive culture. We believe in short lines of communication, active knowledge sharing and room for development and new initiatives. Our M&C staff use flexible workspaces, spread across our beautiful campus: they do their jobs in the immediate proximity of our students, teachers, researchers and administrators.