The Department of Governance and Technology for Sustainable Development (CSTM), University of Twente (UT), the Netherlands, invite applications for an Assistant Professor position in Sustainability and Complex Adaptive Systems. The Assistant Professor will join the CSTM thematic group on Social Complexity of Climate Change and will be embedded within Resilience Research Program of the Behavioural, Management and Social sciences Faculty. The latter unites researchers from various social sciences with a shared focus on technology and computational methods to explore how individuals, communities, cities or regions withstand, cope, adapt and continue developing in the face of gradual stress or abrupt shocks. The BMS Resilience Research Program does so by using computational methods – data analytics, agent-based modeling, gaming and visualization (see also BMS Tech4people Lab) – as research tools in developing solutions towards the UN Sustainable Development goals. An ideal candidate will share an emphasis on computational methods and sustainable urban-regional development challenges; candidates with a passion to make a difference in the climate change adaptation and mitigation .
Your key job responsibilities include:
- Research: collaborate within the Department, Faculty and University on developing a ‘Sustainability and Complex Adaptive Systems’ research line, resulting in high quality journal publications and national and international scholarly visibility. Co-supervise PhD students towards a successful completion and disseminate research outcomes at international conferences.
- Education: undertake teaching at different levels, contribute to existing programs and help developing them further (e.g. MSc course Multi Agent Systems; MSc Environmental and Energy Management, BSc Management, Society and Technology program and MSc Public Administration programs). Supervise BSc and MSc students.
- Valorization: attract research funding individually and collaboratively to underpin high quality research and the potential for an impact beyond academia. Proactive engagement with governmental organizations and private sector is encouraged. UT provides support with preparing VENI/VIDI and ERC proposals.
- Organization: Contribute to organizational / administrative activities and committees within the CSTM Department and the BMS Faculty.
You are a highly motivated and qualified academic who has an ambition to combine cutting edge research and innovative teaching in the rapidly evolving area of complex adaptive systems.
- You hold a PhD degree in environmental economics, geography, environmental sciences, statistics or computer sciences;
- You preferably have international research experience and experience as a post-doctoral researcher;
- You have a track record in either agent-based modelling/multi-agent systems, machine learning, network science or other complex systems methods;
- You are have a strong interest in driving a research agenda that contributes solutions to Sustainable Development Goals;
- You deliver high quality research as proven by your publication record in peer-review journals;
- Experience with computational methods in applications to climate adaptation / mitigation, urban / regional resilience, or spatial modelling is an advantage;
- You preferably have teaching experience;
- Experience in acquiring grants will strengthen your application;
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
For more information please contact Prof.dr. T.Filatova, email: firstname.lastname@example.org and web: http://www.sc3.center/ . Please upload your application via www.utwente.nl/vacatures/en before October 16th 2020. Your application should include (1) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests, (2) a detailed CV with the full publications list, (3) a two-page statement with your personal vision on research and teaching, and (4) names and contact information of 3 references. The first interviews will take place in November 2020 (probably online, depending on the Covid19 situation). Reviews of applications will continue until the position is filled.
We offer young, talented academics an attractive career opportunity. You will be appointed as an Assistant Professor for 3 years, with a possibility of a permanent contract. By starting your career at UT, you receive an opportunity to develop as an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. An employment at the UT entitles you to:
- Salary between €3.746,- to €5.826,- gross per month based on your experience and qualifications;
- in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities;
- Generous social security package, including minimum of 29 holidays per year; a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary; a year-end bonus of 8.3%; a solid pension scheme and possibilities to save up for a sabbatical leave;
- Professional and personal improvement programs, including mentoring;
- UT offers an attractive benefits package, including a reduced rate for health insurance and access to sports facilities at work. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. There is a childcare located in the middle of the UT’s green campus and there is an international primary school in town.
- An engagement in the strategic 4TU Resilience ‘DeSIRE’ capacity building program, offers a unique opportunity to develop your research line within the network of academic scholars and practitioners focused on resilience, an opportunity to organize events and initialize projects that have an impact.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through 'social engineering' these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.