The Water Resources Department (WRS) of the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) at the University of Twente works in the domains of Water and the Environment, focusing on water, food, energy, health and ecosystems security and sustainability. The department uses earth observation and in-situ ground truth in combination with hydrologic and earth systems modelling for the assessment and monitoring of the water, energy and biogeochemical cycles to support planning and management of water resources and freshwater and coastal ecosystems under global change.
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated individual, complementing the expertise at WRS and ITC in water, climate and health. We particularly encourage applicants with one (or more) of the following expertise and interests / specializations to apply: water sanitation and water-related health risks, impact analysis of weather, climate and society on water security and health, in combination with earth observation and system modelling techniques.
We expect you to contribute to and eventually lead international projects in the field. You will also develop and deliver education and research in the field, mentor MSc students and supervise PhD candidates. You will develop social innovation actions at the interface of water sanitation, geo-information and Geo-ICT. You are able to communicate with social actors involved, and have some experience and skills in acquisition of external and international projects.
- You have a PhD degree in (preferably) environmental science, chemistry or physics, preferably in the domains of water engineering, water quality and sanitation, agricultural sciences, biomedical engineering or a related field.
- You have proven expertise in the water, climate and/or health sectors
- You have affinity with geo-informatics, earth observation and climate models
- You have project experience and/or publication record in this field
- You have programming and systems analysis modelling skills and/or strong interest
- You have an interest (and preferably experience) in lecturing and tutoring at academic level
- You thrive in a multi-cultural, academic post-graduate education environment
- You are willing to undertake international travel to less developed countries
- You have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, and/or willingness to learn Dutch is an advantage. Knowledge of other languages is also an asset.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application before 1 September 2020 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria, (ii) a detailed CV with references and (iii) a short statement on your personal vision on research, education and capacity development in relation to ITC and the position. Applications that do not include all three will not be considered.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for four years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3,746.- and € 5,826.- (depending on experience and qualifications, job profile Assistant Professor level 1 or 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of fulltime employment
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Professional and personal improvement programmes, including mentoring;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly supported.
During your career, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognized academic. We offer a structured career and personal development program designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.