We are looking for a PhD candidate to reinforce our team. Together with academic and industrial partners, we seek to develop the decision-support tool and method to systematic assessment for the innovative asphalt products.
To achieve the sustainable asphalt road plant, it is important to exhibit a long-term high-quality performance, comfort, low noise production, good skid resistance during the service life, maximize the safety of the drivers, keep the minimum environmental impact and allow future advances such as the use of new materials or process. Innovative asphalt mixtures are designed to provide possibilities for improving the performance of roads. They can help to reduce costs (e.g. maintenance costs) and increase the sustainability of our infrastructure. The innovative asphalt mixture contains life-extending products, green asphalt plants, products/additives from other chains (incl. Biobased products), and sustainable vehicles and equipment. The most important things are to demonstrate the reduction of MKI (Environmental Cost Indicator) and CO2 emission for the innovations of market parties in a uniform and substantiated manner.
Regarding Sustainability new insights emerge and new ambitions and policies are set. Subsequently, tools/methods for sustainability assessment need to be updated and revised continuously, as do the related practices of the affected organizations. This process of adoption is often ad hoc and slow. Therefore, the main task of the Ph.D. research is to:1. Investigate the approaches available to ease the process of implementation of new insights and aspects in this ensemble of tools/methods.
Moreover, organizations that design, build, operate, and maintain road infrastructures use tools and systems to assess sustainability. Clients, contractors, consultants & suppliers utilize these tools and methods for different tasks and purposes. Separately developed tools/methods may not work together well. Therefore, the second task of the Ph.D. research is to:2. Create an integral overview of the tools/methods in use, and investigate methods to enhance the coherence, consistency, and interplay of these tools/methods.
In this position
- You will perform daily PhD-level research and educational activities, cooperate and exchange knowledge within the research team;
- You will closely collaborate with the supervisors from TNO and Rijkswaterstaat;
- You will be required to publish your results in highly reputable research journals.
- You are a MSc- level graduate in civil engineering, computer science, environmental engineering or related fields;
- You enjoy working in a multidisciplinary team and to interact with local and regional partners;
- You have strong analytical and communication skills. You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits;
- You are able to do independent research and have publication skills.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information about this position can be obtained from Prof. dr. André Doree, Department of Construction Management and Engineering, University of Twente (e-mail: email@example.com) or dr. Silu Bhochhibhoya, Department of Construction Management and Engineering, University of Twente (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submit your application before August 15, 2020, using the “apply now” button below. Your application must include:
- A full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained, references and, if applicable, a list of publications.
- A Motivational letter (maximum 2 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications, motivations to apply for this position and research ideas for the PhD project.
Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
Please note: Your application will only be processed if you have applied for the vacancy via the ''apply now'' button.
You are required to fill in an additional questionnaire before we can process your application, via this link: Questionnaire .
A Game-Based assessment will be also part of the selection procedure
We offer you a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- We offer a four-year full-time PhD position;
- We provide a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities;
- You will be part of a dedicated team with which you will collaborate extensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits;
- A starting salary of € 2.395,-- gross per month in the first year and increasing to € 3.061,-- gross per month in the fourth year;
- An annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, and an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%.
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating research environment to accelerate your further professional and personal growth;
- The University of Twente is situated on a green and lively campus with lots of facilities for sports and other activities.
You first responsibility is to carry out the research, but you are also encouraged to acquire teaching experience. We support you to broaden your knowledge by joining international exchange programs, by participating in national and internal exchange programs, by participating in national and internal conferences and workshops and by visiting industrial companies, research institutes, and universities worldwide.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.