Are you interested in Cognition-Inspired Intelligent Systems with a focus on the application of computational cognitive models in technical systems, human interaction with technical systems, and human information processes? Do you have a passion for teaching and guiding students? At the University of Twente we are looking for an enthusiastic fulltime Assistant Professor or Associate Professor in the Department of Cognitive Psychology and Ergonomics (CPE).
CPE is part of the Data-analytics and Decision-support Systems (DDS) cluster at the Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences, a growing multidisciplinary research group exploring and assessing how the broad field of data-driven human decision support, and learning and instruction affect our societies, institutions and daily lives, and vice versa. The surplus value of the CPE approach lies in the close entanglement of applied (problem solving) research and basic (information processing) research.
You contribute to research, teaching, and knowledge valorisation. You will be responsible for:
- developing our research line, with a genuine interest in operating at crossroads of different disciplines such as the cluster and the UT-wide Digital Society Institute (https://www.utwente.nl/en/research/themes/digital/);
- developing systems that show intelligent executive control of (deep-learning) systems involved in perception, motor behaviour and behaviour planning;
- acquiring external research funding;
- (co-)teaching and coordinating courses in our Bachelor and Master programs of CPE including project-based learning projects of the Psychology bachelor and master programs, and the Robotics master programme;
- supervising students from these programs in their graduation assignment;
- contributing towards the supervision of PhD students;
- working jointly with BMS lab (a lab that develops expertise in using behavioural and industrial research datasets for research).
The CPE department is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, it will be on the basis of their aptitude and ability. To support the workforce diversity, we are open to offer flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, that may include contract of employment, working hours and location, or child care arrangements.
- have strong interest and experience in human neurocognition as well as in modelling neural networks and cognitive processes (e.g., in C++ or Python, and they have a plus when they have experience with the iCub robot);
- hold a PhD degree in a relevant background and have experience in research, which is apparent from international peer-reviewed publications in highly ranked academic journals, presentations in international scientific conferences, grant application skills and other academic activities;
- show vision and entrepreneurial drive, are active in networks for acquiring research funding, and conduct (fundamental and applied) research within a multidisciplinary environment;
- are team workers have ambition and experience in working closely with scholars in social sciences and technology, companies and government;
- possess, or are interested in acquiring, a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate (or international equivalent), are passionate, creative and effective teachers able to teach psychological and professional skills as shown in good teaching evaluations;
- possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English, at least at C2 level.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
You are encouraged to discuss your ideas about this position with prof.dr. Willem Verwey: email@example.com or prof.dr. Frank van der Velde: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can submit your application, including a recent CV and your vision statement on teaching and research, a summary and table of contents of your dissertation, three references to your best publications along with the names of two references before September 1, 2020.
We offer an appointment as Assistant Professor or Associate Professor (1,0 FTE) for 2 years, after which your position can become permanent, subject to a successful evaluation. The starting data will be preferably November 1, 2020 or if possible earlier. The starting salary, depending on your experience, ranges between € 3.746 to € 6.940 gross per month (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). In addition, we offer additional attractive employment conditions (8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs, etc.).
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social sciences (BMS) strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Innovation is driven by advances in technology. Through 'social engineering' these technological advances are embedded in society befitting human needs and behaviour, within proper public and private management and business structures. For this the faculty of BMS upholds high quality disciplinary knowledge in psychology, business administration, public administration, communication science, philosophy, educational science and health sciences. All with a focus on the challenges in society. Research is strongly connected to our institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.