University College Twente (UCT) is the international honours college of the University of Twente and offers the bachelor’s programme in Technology, Liberal Arts, and Sciences. UCT and its programme are embedded in the Faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation (ITC).
UCT offers the Bachelor’s programme in Technology, Liberal Arts and Sciences, ATLAS for short. Traditionally, engineering (or technology) is not part of Liberal Arts and Sciences curricula. At University College Twente, we firmly believe it should be. To understand today’s world, you have to understand technology. And solving today’s problems means you have to have design skills. Therefore, our bachelor’s programme focuses on science, mathematics, engineering, and social sciences. Our unique approach to engineering education is aimed at raising a new and different kind of engineer and global citizen.
In the role of Programme Director Atlas, you will be in charge of the education programme Technology, Liberal Arts and Sciences. Presently the bachelor’s programme has an intake of about 50 students. The aim is to increase the student number during the coming years. Under the direction of the Education Portfolio Holder in the ITC Faculty Board, the Programme Director is responsible for the further development, organization, and implementation of the programme and the safeguarding of the contents and the quality of the programme. You will be a member of the UCT management team. The Management Team consists of a Dean (0.4 fte), a Programme Director Atlas (0.5 fte), and a Portfolio holder Operational Management (0.6 fte). The UCT Dean chairs the UCT management team.
Furthermore, the Programme Director will operate with the Examination Board, Programme Committee, educational support staff (e.g., educational specialists, personnel responsible for quality assurance, e-learning support staff), and the Office of Education and Student Affairs (OSA).
- Translate and implement the long‐term vision into concrete educational programmes
- Development of the framework, contents, and quality of the academic degree programme
- Assurance of the internal quality of the programme (from academic admission to curriculum development and teaching and supervision) and ensure readiness for external audits (e.g. accreditations)
- Managing the education year cycle (semester planning, EER cycle, etc.)
- Revision of the EER, the internal quality assurance system, and required measures as a follow‐up of external audits
- Plan, organize and manage the development and implementation of the degree programme (curriculum management), including the identification of teaching staff
- Organize and be responsible for the academic admission
- Managing the process of Academic Advising and Guidance and coordinate the study advice
- Further develop the programme and initiates and approves strategic and structural changes in the degree programme
- Combine expectations and needs of the external world regarding “new engineers” with recent developments in academic R&D, carried by all individual team members, into one coherent long‐term vision on the development of the educational programme.
- Recognizing needs and desires from the student community and incorporating them into the educational programme
- gives follow‐up to the advice from the ATLAS Programme Committee
- liaisons with the Examination Board
- Chairs the Curriculum Committee
- You preferably have a PhD degree
- You demonstrate to be a highly creative person, integrator and communicator pur sang
- You have an unconventional attitude
- You have a strong background in both science and engineering
- You have worked both inside and outside the academic environment
- You are passionate about educating engineers as a means to contribute to a better world
- You understand education procedures and legislation
- You are an organizer of education
- You have a clear vision on education, student learning, and curriculum development and an interest in educational issues;
- You can cooperate with the various disciplines and domains represented in the programme
- You are a team player who understands the importance of collaboration with colleagues within and outside the programme and can properly balance the different interests;
- You have the capacity for innovation: identify opportunities for innovation and able to realize new initiatives;
- You have excellent communication skills. In any case, in English and preferably also in Dutch;
- You have leadership qualities and power of persuasion and interact easily within different groups (students, education support staff, professors and other academic staff, fellow Programme Directors, etc.);
- Binding Leadership
- Environment orientation
- Managing for result
- Organisational Sensitivity
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information about this position can be obtained from Drs. E. J.M. Dopheide (Education Manager ITC) email@example.com
Please submit your application before June 8th, 2020 (choose “apply here” below). Your application must include (i) a motivation letter outlining, (ii) a vision document on education, and (iii) a CV with references. The selection interview will be held on Monday 29 June 2020.
You will be part of a completely new UCT – Board. It is in the interest of the new Board – and UCT as organization as such – that the new Board has a fit. Therefore, please be informed that a group development assessment (management game) will be part of the selection procedure. This assessment is aimed to determine whether the new Board is really complementary in order to reach the team effort approach.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially appointed for four years for 20 hours per week. The position is defined as a temporary role for four years which can be extended for another four years.
- Gross monthly salary € 6,133.00 max. on a fulltime basis (scale 13 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities), depending on experience and qualifications.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary
- A year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Facilities for professional and personal development.
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC's activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.