You will work in the Physics of Fluids group at the University of Twente (UT) in the Netherlands. The research in our group covers a variety of aspects in fluid mechanics. Our group focuses on understanding fundamental fluid physics phenomena using experiments, simulations, and theory. Our group is embedded in the Twente Max Planck Center, the J.M. Burgers Research Center for fluid mechanics, and the MESA+ and MIRA Institutes. Our group has access to several top supercomputers in Europe and the US. For further information, you are encouraged to look at https://stevensrjam.github.io/Website/ and http://pof.tnw.utwente.nl to read our recent publications on the topic.
Are you fascinated by physics and interested in developing state-of-the-art fluid dynamics computer simulations to understand real-world problems better? Are you ambitious and dynamic? Do you strive for excellence? We are looking for a PhD student to carry out state-of-the-art research on the simulations of chiral particles in turbulence! Chiral particles couple rotational and translational degrees of freedom. The project aims to develop analytical and computationally accurate and efficient models to simulate the dynamics of chiral particles in turbulence. This will be achieved by performing high-resolution simulations using a finite difference code with an immersed boundary method. These simulations will fully resolve the particle dynamics, which will allow us to develop analytical models and computationally efficient “point-wise” numerical models. Numerical simulations of a high volume fraction of particles will be pursued. In this project, we will consider unexplored terrain and design non-universal turbulence using “smart” particles capable of adjusting the properties of turbulent flows at its core!
You have a background in applied physics or mechanical engineering or a closely related discipline. You have strong communication skills, including fluency in written and spoken English. You are enthusiastic and highly motivated to do a PhD. Programming experience in C or Fortran is a plus.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
- A motivation letter describing why you want to apply for this position.
- Description of your research interests.
- A detailed CV.
- Academic transcripts from your Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees.
- Email addresses of at least two references who are willing to send a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- An interview with a scientific presentation will be part of the interview process.
We want you to play a key role in an ambitious project in an inspiring and stimulating international work environment.
- We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
- You will have an employment contract for 4 years and can participate in all employee benefits the UT offers.
- You will be embedded in a dynamic research group with colleagues working on similar topics.
- The gross monthly salary starts with € 2.325,- in the first year and increases to € 2.972,- in the fourth year of your employment;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Additionally, the UT is a green campus with excellent facilities and resources for professional and personal development.
- You will follow a high-quality personalized educational program.
- The research will result in a Ph.D. thesis at the end of the employment period.
- We strive for diversity and fairness in hiring.
- Collaborate with our partners at the TU Eindhoven.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Within the TNW Faculty (Faculty of Science & Technology) of the University of Twente some 700 staff members and 2000 students are involved in training and research on the interface of chemical technology, applied physics and biomedical technology. Fields of application include sustainable energy, process technology and materials science, nanotechnology and technical medicine. Research, which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.