Within the faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science (EEMCS), the Department of Applied Mathematics has a vacancy for an Assistant/Associate Professor (f/m) in one of our focus areas: Computational Science, Data Science, and Operations Research.
We seek a talented individual to strengthen our department in any one of the above areas, with the hope to expand the current strengths of the department in new directions as well. We invite interested candidates to consider if Twente is a potential match for them by visiting our websites https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/sacs/ for the computational science cluster (contact Prof.dr.ir. J.J.W. van der Vegt), and https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/mor/ for the Operations Research and Data Science cluster (contact Prof.dr. M.J. Uetz).
- You develop your own identity as a mathematician. We expect you to attract national or European research grants to support your research line;
- You are actively involved in teaching and contribute to the development of our curriculum;
- You give lectures in English. Mastering the Dutch language is not a prerequisite, but naturally a long term goal;
- Junior staff members spend the first few years of their employment 33% on teaching and 67% research; later, the standard division is 50/50, further depending on acquired research funding.
Are you ready to take on this challenge and join our team?
- You hold a PhD in Mathematics or a closely related field and have an existing track record in research in one of the relevant areas, shown by publications in high rank journals, or otherwise strong evidence of high research potential;
- You have good communication skills and experience with teaching, advising and inspiring students;
- You have acquired (an equivalent of) the Dutch University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or are willing to do so;
- You are proficient in English.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please send your application before 15 June 2020 using the 'Apply now' button, and include:
- a curriculum vitae, and contact information of 2 references;
- a list of publications;
- a research and teaching statement.
For any questions, you are welcome to contact the department head prof.dr. S.A. van Gils (email@example.com), or the cluster chairs prof. dr. J.J.W. van der Vegt (firstname.lastname@example.org) or prof. dr. M.J. Uetz (email@example.com).
We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
- It is a structural position, starting with a one-year contract with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation;
- The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO), and include:
- a starting salary from € 3.637 (scale 11) to € 6.738 (scale 14) gross per month, based on relevant work experience;
- a tailored made starting package;
- a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- a minimum of 29 leave days in case of fulltime employment based on a formal workweek of 38 hours. A fulltime employment in practice means 40 hours a week, therefore resulting in 96 extra leave hours on an annual basis.
- professional and personal development programs;
- a solid pension scheme.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.