Would you love to make an impact with your research? Work at a true campus university with a pleasant atmosphere? And immediately appoint your own PhD candidate? Then you will find this role an excellent fit.
About the job
As an assistant professor you will work at the Department Mechanics of Solids Surfaces and Systems (MS3). Here you will develop ground-breaking research projects in close collaboration with your colleagues and the industry. The Precision Engineering group - to which this department belongs - works closely with renowned industrial partners. You can read more about the research below.
In addition, you will be participating in teaching the Bachelor programme of mechanical engineering and the Master programme of robotics and mechanical engineering. You will supervise students in their graduation assignment, and you will contribute towards the supervision of the PhD candidate(s).
In this role you will also have the opportunity to directly appoint your own PhD. And in time, there are opportunities to grow into the role of Associate Professor. All your work takes place on the beautiful, green campus in Twente. Want to know more about the UT? Take a look here: green campus University of Twente
About the research and the department
The position is in the group of Precision Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET). This young and enthusiastic group consists of 5 researchers and teachers. Their research focuses on developing new methods for the precision design, dynamics, optimization and control of robots and high-tech mechatronic systems. As an assistant professor you will become an expert in one or two topics, and for the other topics you will collaborate with fellow experts.
This research aims to initiate, design and develop technical solutions for societal problems of today and tomorrow. Such technology involves “Intelligent Mechatronic Systems” in which an optimal mechanical subsystem with integrated actuators, sensors and advanced control system is developed. Application areas are e.g. high-tech equipment, such as nano-accurate positioning for microsystems and semiconductor equipment, scientific instrumentation, agri-food applications, such as automated product handling, and precision medical equipment.
The modelling and fundamental understanding of high-tech systems and robotics are essential in the development of controlled precision systems. In particular the kinematic, static and dynamic behaviour play a central role in the predictable behaviour essential for precision systems. On the one hand models are becoming increasingly complex and on the other hand it is key to only capture the essentials to strongly reduce computation time. This is an important prerequisite for optimization and model-based control of precision systems. Hence, it is tightly connected to the discipline of systems and control, which focusses on the fundamentals of ensuring that dynamical engineering systems can operate with the desired performance.
- A PhD degree and background in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, or Systems and Control with a solid basis in one or two of the topics: precision design, dynamics, optimization and control of robots and high-tech mechatronic systems;
- Experience in research, which is apparent from publications in reputable academic journals, presentations in international scientific conferences and other academic activities;
- A team player who proactively searches collaboration with the other fields within the department Mechanics of Solids Surfaces and Systems (MS3) and within the robotics community at the University of Twente (Biomechanical Engineering, and Robotics and Mechatronics) where currently plans are unfolding for a new Robotics Centre;
- Affinity for collaboration with the Dutch and European high-tech industry and with government agencies that are involved in high-tech systems;
- Experience in teaching in the sketched research field and you hold a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this;
- Good communication skills and an excellent command of English.
We offer an excellent and stimulating scientific environment with an attractive campus and lots of facilities for sports and leisure. The university provides a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer you:
- A fulltime position for 1 year, with the prospect of a permanent position after a positive evaluation;
- A gross salary between € 3.746,- and € 5.826,- per month, depending on experience and qualifications, a 30% tax ruling option and solid pension scheme;
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
- A start-up package that includes funding for the recruitment of 1 PhD that can help in kickstarting your research;
- A family-friendly institution that offers parental leave (both paid and unpaid) and career support for partners.
Information and application
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Dutchwebshark to assist the recruitment committee. For informal enquiries and questions about this post please contact Ian Hoefnagels, email: email@example.com. Please submit your application before September 15th 2021 using the Apply now button (below).
Please note that this vacancy is only open to female scientists. This is part of the University of Twente’s strategy to increase the proportion of women among its faculty and to create a working environment that is diverse and inclusive and supportive of excellence in research and teaching.
About the organization
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering with a view to enabling society and industry to innovate and create value using sound, efficient and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first' university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading centre for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to some 1,800 Bachelor's and Master's students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates and offers three degree programmes: Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our educational and research programme are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.
University of Twente (UT)
University of Twente (UT) has entered the new decade with an ambitious, new vision, mission and strategy. As ‘the ultimate people-first university of technology' we are rapidly expanding on our High Tech Human Touch philosophy and the unique role it affords us in society. Everything we do is aimed at maximum impact on people, society and connections through the sustainable utilisation of science and technology. We want to contribute to the development of a fair, digital and sustainable society through our open, inclusive and entrepreneurial attitude. This attitude permeates everything we do and is present in every one of UT's departments and faculties. Building on our rich legacy in merging technical and social sciences, we focus on five distinguishing research domains: Improving healthcare by personalised technologies; Creating intelligent manufacturing systems; Shaping our world with smart materials; Engineering our digital society; and Engineering for a resilient world.
As an employer, University of Twente offers jobs that matter. We equip you as a staff member to shape new opportunities both for yourself and for our society. With us, you will be part of a leading tech university that is changing our world for the better. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial climate, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example, with our flexible, customisable conditions.