Name Seirgei Miller (PhD)
Department Construction Management & Engineering
Tel. 053-489 4601
Tel. secretary 053-489 4254/2670
Position Assistant Professor & Researcher in the Asphalt Paving Research & Innovation (Aspari) Unit
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Department of Construction Management & Engineering
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
2006 - 2010 PhD - University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands – PhD thesis: Hot Mix Asphalt Construction - Towards a more professional approach.
1998 - 2000 MSc – Transportation Engineering, IHE Delft & TU Delft, the Netherlands
1996 Diploma in Sports Management, Damelin College, Cape Town, South Africa
1982 - 1986 National & National Higher Diploma Civil Engineering, Peninsula Technikon, Cape Town, South Africa
Current - Assistant Professor - Department of Construction Management and Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands.
2011 - 2013 Project Manager – Vusela Construction, Cape Town, South Africa.
2006 - 2010 PhD researcher in the Aspari (Asphalt Paving Research and Innovation) Unit of the Department of Construction Management and Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands.
2001 – 2005 Head of Department of Civil Engineering at the Peninsula Technikon (now called the Cape Peninsula University of Technology).
1990 – 2000 Lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, Peninsula Technikon
1988 – 2000 Professional Assistant, Traffic and Transportation Engineering, Cape Town City Council.
1982 - 1988 Student and Technician, Savage & Lovemore, Civil Engineering Contractor, Cape Town.
Research: Professionalizing the Hot Mix Asphalt Process
Significant changes are currently occurring in the construction industry, resulting in changing roles for road agencies (clients) and contractors. Agencies are shifting towards service-level agreements with lengthy guarantee periods. Hence it is important for contractors to improve process and quality control during construction.
However, as in many domains in the construction industry, traditional working practices lean heavily on the on-site experience and tacit knowledge of operators and teams. Operators may implicitly learn based on experience from previous construction projects, but this is based on limited observations and data. To develop a deeper insight into construction processes and improve process and quality control, this tacit knowledge needs to be made explicit to prompt a change towards explicit improving and learning methods.
The construction process is still mainly carried out without the use of high-tech instruments to monitor key process parameters, and little research effort has been put into the systematic mapping and analysis of construction processes. Contractors do not explicitly know what transpired during construction, how the operations were carried out, and therefore it is also near impossible to identify good or for that matter, poor operational practices. In this project, new technologies such as Differential GPS, Laser Line Scanners and Infrared Cameras, are used to make the asphalt construction process explicit and make operational behavior explicit through the use of innovative visualizations.
The explicit data and visualizations will help contractors to improve their understanding of on-site construction processes and therefore work towards improved process control. It also helps to move from current implicit, experience-based knowledge to explicit knowledge. Finally, the research also provides pointers for other domains of the construction industry to move from traditional experience-driven practices towards method-based practices.
- Jacobs, C. and S.R. Miller. An integrated approach to project work: The puzzling experience of piecing together the jigsaw of OBE outcomes. in 3rd South African Conference on Engineering Education. 2002. Durban.
- Jacobs, C. and S.R. Miller, An integrated approach to project work - An exploration of assessment practices from lecturer perspectives. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, 2003. 1(1): p. 75 - 87.
- Haupt, T.C., Smallwood, J., and Miller, S.R. The State of Construction Management Programs at Technikons in South Africa. in AUBEA 2004: Higher Education Shaping the Built Environment. 2004. Centre for Infrastructure and Property, University of Newcastle.
- Miller, S.R., et al. The State of Civil Engineering Programs at Technikons in South Africa. in International Conference on Innovation, Good Practice and Research in Engineering Education. 2004. University of Wolverhampton.
- Haupt, T.C., N. Chileshe, and S.R. Miller, Report on Construction Management and Civil Engineering Education at Universities of Technology. 2005, Southern African Built Environment Centre: Bellville.
- Miller, S.R., T.C. Haupt, and N. Chileshe. Student perceptions of the first year civil engineering course content. in 3rd Postgraduate Conference on Construction Industry Development. 2005. Johannesburg.
- Haupt, T.C., S.R. Miller, and N. Chileshe, Report on the Profile of Construction Skills in the Western Cape. 2005, Southern African Built Environment Centre: Bellville.
- Miller, S.R., T.C. Haupt, and N. Chileshe. Civil Engineering Student Perceptions of the Experiential Learning Experience. in 34th IGIP Engineering Education Symposium. 2005. Istanbul
- Miller, S.R., T.C. Haupt, and N. Chileshe, Student perceptions of the first year civil engineering course content. Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology, 2006 (Special issue on Engineering, Design and Technology Education): p. 75-83.
- Miller, S.R., A.G. Dorée, and H.L. ter Huerne, Understanding Asphalt Compaction: An Action Research Strategy, in 7th International Postgraduate Research Conference in the Built and Human Environment, D. Amaratunga, et al., Editors. 2007: Salford, UK. p. 456 - 466.
- Miller, S.R., A.G. Dorée, and H.L. ter Huerne, The asphalt paving process: plans for action research, in 4th Nordic Conference in Construction Economics and Organisation, J. Borgbrant and B. Atkin, Editors. 2007: Luleå, Sweden. p. 37-46.
- Huerne ter, H.L., S.R. Miller, and A.G. Doree. New technologies in the paving process need to be based on "common practice" and operator's heuristics. in 5th International Conference on Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Pavements and Technological Control. 2007. Utah, USA.
- Miller, S.R., A.G. Dorée, and H.L. ter Huerne, Research report: A35 Highway Test Section 3 - Temperature profiling and the monitoring of equipment movements. 2007, University of Twente: Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Miller, S.R., A.G. Dorée, and H.L. ter Huerne, Towards understanding asphalt compaction: An action research strategy. The Built and Human Environment Review, 2008. 1(1): p. 11-24.
- Miller, S.R., et al., Paving the way forward: A case study in process control, in 4th Eurasphalt and Eurobitume Congress, E. Beuving, Editor. 2008: Copenhagen, Denmark. p. 204-215.
- Miller, S.R. and A.G. Dorée, Improving logistics in the asphalt paving process: what can we learn from the planner's logic?, in 24th Annual ARCOM Conference, A. Dainty, Editor. 2008, Association of Researchers in Construction Management: Cardiff, UK. p. 381-390.
- Dorée, A.G. and S.R. Miller, Is technology a new challenge for the field of Construction Management?, in 24th Annual ARCOM Conference, A. Dainty, Editor. 2008, Association of Researchers in Construction Management: Cardiff, UK. p. 175-184.
- Miller, S.R., et al., Op weg naar verdere professionalisering asfaltverwerking - Monitoring A35 [Professionalising the asphalt paving process - monitoring the A35], in VBW Asfalt. 2008, VBW Asfalt: Zoetemeer, The Netherlands. p. 8-12.
- Dorée, A.G., S.R. Miller, and H.L. Ter Huerne, Asfalt, wat bakken we ervan?, in CROW Infradagen. 2008, CROW: Technical University Delft, The Netherlands.
- Dorée, A.G., H.L. ter Huerne, and S.R. Miller, De geinstrumenteerde wegenbouwplaats, in Conceptueel. 2008, ConcepT, Universiteit Twente: Enschede. p. 28-31.
- Miller, S.R. and A.G. Dorée, Research report: Aziehavenweg, Amsterdam - Temperature profiling and the monitoring of equipment movements. 2008, University of Twente: Enschede, The Netherlands.
- Miller, S.R., T. Hartmann, and A.G. Dorée, AsphaltOpen - an interactive visualization tool for asphalt concrete paving operations, in ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering. 2009: Austin, USA.
- ter Huerne, H.L., S.R. Miller, and A.G. Dorée, Monitoring hot mix asphalt temperature to improve homogeneity and pavement quality, in Mairepav6: The sixth international conference on maintenance and rehabilitation of pavements and technological control. 2009: Torino, Italy.
- Dorée, A.G., S.R. Miller, and H.L. ter Huerne, Runway paving: Taking a different approach, in 2nd European Airport Pavement Workshop 2009. 2009: Amsterdam.
- Miller, S.R., A.G. Dorée, and M. Oosterveld, Proefproject Aziehavenweg, Amsterdam [Test project: Aziehavenweg, Amsterdam], in VBW Asfalt. 2009, VBW Asfalt: Zoetemeer, The Netherlands. p. 8-11.
- Dorée, A.G., S.R. Miller, and H.L. ter Huerne, Vaklieden: trots op het vak, maar... [Operators: proud of their work, but...], in VBW Asfalt. 2009, VBW Asfalt: Zoetemeer, The Netherlands. p. 17-19.
- Hartmann, T., S.R. Miller, and A.G. Dorée, Specifying the pragmatic roots of action research, in 25th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium. 2009: Barcelona.
- Miller, S.R., H.L. ter Huerne, and A.G. Dorée, Role of action research in dealing with a traditional process, in Performance Improvement in Construction Management, B. Atkin and J. Borgbrant, Editors. 2010, Spon Press: London, United Kingdom. p. 92-101.
- Miller, S.R. Hot Mix Asphalt Construction - Towards a more professional approach. 2010, PhD thesis, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands. pp. 267.
- Miller, S.R., Hartmann, T. and Dorée, A.G. Measuring and visualizing hot mix asphalt concrete paving operations. Automation in Construction, Volume 20, Issue 4, July 2011, Pages 474-481.
- Dorée, A.G., Miller, S.R. and Bijleveld, F. Paving below Centigrade - how a project exposed two different approaches to innovation. Eurobitume Congress 2012, Istanbul, Turkey, 13 - 15 June 2012.
- Bijleveld, F., Dorée, A.G., de Bondt, A.H., Miller, S.R. and ter Huerne, H.L. Too hot to handle, too cold to control - influence of compaction temperature on the mechanical properties of asphalt. Eurobitume Congress 2012, Istanbul, Turkey, 13 - 15 June 2012.