- The student should get acquainted with the ongoing research in the chairs of Embedded Systems (ICD, SCS, CAES, DACS, PS, RaM, FMT). See https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/research/#institutes.
- Approximately three months before the start of the graduation project the student should contact a staff member of the ongoing research in which the student is interested for a final thesis (see 1).
A final project in a company is possible, but it must be research oriented assignment. Furthermore you need explicit approval of your UT thesis supervisor (full professor or associate professor) of one the chairs of Embedded Systems before the start of the assignment.
- Educational affairs must have the individual study programme of the student before the start of the graduation project. The form is on: https://www.utwente.nl/en/emsys/programmeinformation/forms/.
- The graduation project starts with the final project preparation (10 ec; course code 201600017) as preparation for the final project (30 ec; course code 192199978).
- At the start of the graduation project the first supervisor will compose a graduation committee. The graduation committee is formed by a minimum of 3 persons, at least one of whom is a full or associate professor of the chair. The second member of that chair is a full, associate or assistant professor, postdoc or PhD candidate. The third member is a full, associate or assistant professor from a different chair related to the embedded system master. This third member may also be from a chair of the TU Delft or TU Eindhoven. Additional members, e.g. from a company or research institute, must have at least a Master’s degree and can only act as an advisory member.
- The teaching and examination regulations also requires that at the start of the graduation project (Art. 3.7): The student and the (daily) supervisor must agree on the start date and completion date for the Master's final project. This agreement is to be documented in a plan that takes into account the nominal length of the final project, a reasonable holiday period and any uncompleted study units.
- One of the results of the final project preparation is a description of the final project ("master thesis description"). Before the start of the final project this document must be sent to educational affairs (BOZ-EMSYS-CES@utwente.nl). The form is on: http://www.utwente.nl/en/emsys/programmeinformation/forms/.
- Four weeks before the thesis defense the thesis committee sends “green light” to educational affairs and the student has to contact educational affairs.
- One week before the thesis defense the committee receives a pdf and a hard copy of the final thesis.
- Your master thesis report must be uploaded in a central database. See: http://essay.utwente.nl/upload.html.
- At the graduation ceremony the student has approximately 30 minutes to present his/her work and 15 minutes for Questions & Answers. Finally the student receives (probably) the diploma.
Details in Forms, rules, regulations