See Upon arrival

Register at the municipality

All international students staying at the UT longer than four months must register at the municipal civil registry (GBA). Your enrolment at the UT will not be complete until you have successfully registered your address and Student Services has verified this registration.

How to register at the Enschede municipal records database

  • Before the start of your study in February or September, we will send you an invitation to make an appointment in a planner. Group appointments will be made available, more information will be given within a month of the start of your study.
  • Should you arrive in a different time, please go to the municipality individually. You can make an appointment yourself. Contact us at if you have any questions.
  • If you will live in Hengelo or a different Dutch city, you can go to the municipality of that city yourself without our assistance. 

ITC students

ITC students will be guided through registration at the municipality by ITC student affairs.

Burger service nummer (BSN)

Around three weeks after having registered at the municipal civil registry, you will receive a letter from the municipality stating your Burger Service Nummer (BSN). This letter will be written in Dutch. The BSN is your personal service number for all Dutch authorities. You will need it as identification on official documents (study subsidy forms, rental contracts etc.) during your stay in the Netherlands. Please keep this important document in your file!

Check the brochure for general information about the Municipal Personal Records Database & BSN (PDF file).