Working next to your studies

If you want to work next to your studies while living in the Netherlands, there are things to keep in mind. 

Do you need a work permit? How about when you do an internship? And how many hours can you work as an international student?

Non-EU students

For non-EU students working next to their studies, there are strict rules in the Netherlands. EU students have free access to the Dutch labour market. Students from non-EU/EEA countries need a work permit. This permit is free of charge. The number of hours you are allowed to work in the Netherlands is restricted. Every calendar year, you must choose. Will you take on a part-time or a summer job? A summer job is seasonal (summer) work in June, July and August. Both part-time and full-time are allowed. Part-time work is throughout the year, but no more than 16 hours a week.


When you have a (part-time) job in the Netherlands, you are obliged to have Basic Healthcare Insurance – even if you only work for one hour per week next to your study. This insurance needs to start the day you start your job. If you neglect to do this, you will receive a fine which can become very high. Basic Healthcare Insurance costs around € 100,- a month, so in case you do not work many hours, you might want to reconsider taking the job.

Rules are different when you are doing an internship. If you earn at least the minimum wage during your internship, you will need to switch to Basic Healthcare Insurance.


In Dutch, a work permit is called a tewerkstellingsvergunning (TWV). Your employer or employment agency must apply for a work permit for you. They can do so at the UWV. You cannot do this yourself. Your employer or employment agency needs to apply for this work permit (TWV) at least 5 weeks prior to the start of your employment. It can take up to 5 weeks to process the application. You can give your employer the following links if they are not familiar with the TWV for student jobs: Ik wil een TWV aanvragen | UWV | Werkgevers.

  • Procedure

    From you, your future employer or employment agency (commonly) needs the following two documents to accompany the application for a work permit: a copy of the front and back of your residence permit for study purposes, and proof of enrolment.

  • Validity

    After the application has been processed, your employer will receive your work permit. You can ask your employer for a copy of your TWV for your own administration. Your work permit will be valid for the same time period as your registration at UT. Therefore, your employer needs to request a new work permit if you renew your registration at UT. 


Self-employed work by non-EU/EEA students and knowledge migrants is exempted from the TWV. You can be self-employed in addition to your studies, without needing a TWV work permit from UWV. However, you have to register with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce. It also entails registering at the Dutch Tax office (Belastingdienst) and the Dutch Tax office collects tax 4 times a year on every product or service sold in the Netherlands.

Working at UT

Working at the University of Twente: the right choice. The University of Twente offers opportunities for your ambitions, talent, ideas and initiatives. Your entrepreneurial attitude is valued and encouraged. You work in an inspiring and challenging environment. A lot of training and courses are provided to further develop yourself.

  • Scientific research

    After obtaining your Master’s degree you can opt for a career in research. This means that you will work on an in-depth research subject which fascinates you. In the Netherlands, a PhD student is usually employed by the university he/she does research for. Next to the vacancies for PhD positions, the Twente Graduate School offers several doctoral programs defined around specific research topics. The Twente Graduate School also offers integrated Master’s/PhD programmes.

    Do you want to know more about our young researchers? You can find more information about upcoming ceremonial defences (promotions) in the overview of Academic Ceremonies. The University of Twente regularly offers PhD positions for aspiring doctoral students. You can find a recent overview at  site or have a look at the website AcademicTransfer for other job offers.

  • Student jobs

    Do you want to work at the UT as a student assistant or an on call worker? Professors and other faculty members often require student assistants to assist them with various tasks like assisting them during lectures, practical courses, grading, etc. Students may also be required to assist in other short-duration and temporary tasks for which they may be called upon on demand. For information about legislation and regulations and available student jobs at the UT, visit the website.

  • Support staff

    Quality in the support of research and education is essential in realizing the ambition of the University of Twente. The university is looking for the best employees who suit our entrepreneurial culture. The university regularly offers various vacancies for support staff in facility management, finance, human resources, ICT, marketing and communication, strategy and policy, student support and technical support.

The University of Twente frequently offers vacancies for support staff and new PhD positions.

Working in Germany

If you graduated in the Netherlands and are looking for work in Germany, it might be necessary, for some jobs, that your (Dutch) diploma has to be accepted by the German government. This process can take up to a few months. The following links in German provide some helpful information about the acceptance process, financial support options and more.