1. Students from the non-EU/EEA countries need a work permit.
  2. This permit is free of charge.
  3. The number of hours you’re allowed to work in the Netherlands is restricted. Every calendar year, you must choose:
  • Seasonal (summer) work in June, July and August. Both part-time and full-time are allowed.
  • Part-time work throughout the year, but no more than 16 hours a week.

Please note that you cannot do both.

Tewerkstellingsvergunning (TWV)

  1. In Dutch, a work permit is called a tewerkstellingsvergunning, often abbreviated to TWV.
  2. Your employer or employment agency must apply for a work permit for you. They can do so at the UWV, afdeling TWV, T: 088 898 20 70. You cannot do this yourself.
  3. Your employer or employment agency needs to apply for this work permit (TWV) at least 5 weeks prior to the start of your employment.
  4. It can take up to 5 weeks to process the application.
  5. You can give your employer the following links if they are not familiar with the TWV for student jobs.


From you, your future employer or employment agency (commonly)  needs the following two documents to accompany the application for a work permit:

  • A copy of the front and back of your residence permit for study purposes
  • Proof of enrolment


After the application has been processed, your employer will receive your work permit. You can ask your employer for a copy of your TWV for your own administration. Your work permit will be valid for the same time period as your registration at the UT. Therefore, your employer needs to request a new work permit if you renew your registration at the UT.