Prof. dr H.E. (Hans) Roosendaal (Hans)
Professor for strategic management
Office: RA 2410
T: +31 (0)53 489 1048
F: +31 (0)53 489 2159
>> Go to list of publications directly:
- Hans E. Roosendaal, “The Split between Availability and Selection”, invited chapter in “Internetökonomie der Medienbranche”, edited by Svenja Hagenhoff in the series “Göttinger Schriften zur Internetforschung“, edited by S. Hagenhoff, D. Hogrefe, E. Mittler, M. Schumann, G. Spindler, V. Wittke, Universitätsverlag Göttingen, 2006, p. 161- 171.
- Kasia Kurek, Peter A.T.M. Geurts, Hans E. Roosendaal, “The research entrepreneur. Strategic positioning of the researcher in the societal environment”, (presented at the SPRU conference, September 11, 2006) http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/spru/events/ocs/viewabstract.php?id=193
- Guido van Steendam, András Dinnyés, Jacques Mallet, Rolando Meloni, Carlos Romeo Casabona, Jorge Guerra González, Josef Kuře, Eörs Szathmáry, Jan Vorstenbosch, Péter Molnár, David Edbrooke, Judit Sándor, Ferenc Oberfrank, Ron Cole-Turner, István Hargittai, Beate Littig, Miltos Ladikas, Emilio Mordini, Hans E. Roosendaal, Maurizio Salvi, Balázs Gulyás, Diana Malpede, “Report: The Budapest Meeting 2005: Intensified Networking on Ethics of Science; The Case of Reproductive Cloning, Germline Gene Therapy and Human Dignity, Science and Engineering Ethics, 12 (4), October 2006, p. 585- 800.
- Kurek K., Geurts P.A.T.M., Roosendaal H.E., (2006). “The split between availability and selection. Business models for scientific information, and the scientific process?” Information Services & Use 26(4), pp: 217- 282.
- Kurek, K., Geurts, P.A.T.M. & Roosendaal, H.E., “The research entrepreneur: strategic positioning of the researcher in his societal environment”. Science and public policy, 34 (7), 2007, 501-513.
- Hans E. Roosendaal, Kasia Kurek, Peter A.T.M. Geurts “Modèles èconomiques de l’èdition scientifique et processus de recherche” In: J. Schöpfel, (2008) “La publication scientifique. Analyses et perspectives”. Hermes Science, Lavoisier.
- Hans E. Roosendaal and Kasia Zalewska-Kurek (2009). “The central-decentral paradox: The university as a merging organisation”. Rolf v. Lüde (Hg.) (2009): Neue Wege der Hochschulgovernance. Hamburg University Press. Hamburg
- Hans E. Roosendaal, Kasia Zalewska-Kurek, Peter A. Th. M. Geurts and Eberhard R. Hilf (2010).“Scientific Publishing: from Vanity to Strategy”. Chandos Publishing, Oxford, ISBN: 978 1 84334 40 2. http://www.isn-oldenburg.de/~hilf/publications/scientific-publishing-from-vanity-to-strategy.html
CONTRIBUTIONS TO CONFERENCES
- “Pertinent issues in e-learning”, invited talk at The Swiss Virtual Campus Days, Basel, Switzerland, 13 March 2006
- “The socio-cultural Route. How to facilitate a new learning culture based on self-organised learning?”, workshop organised together with Ingrid Schönwald, The Swiss Virtual Campus Days, Basel, Switzerland, 14 March 2006
- “Acquisition of scientific information, strategic issues”, invited talk at the HUMANE seminar entitled: Research publishing: a growing economic problem and its alternatives (open access journals…), Copenhagen, Denmark, 22 April 2006
- “The research entrepreneur. Strategic positioning of the researcher in the societal environment”, with Kasia Kurek, SPRU conference, University of Sussex, Brighton, September 11, 2006 http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/spru/events/ocs/viewabstract.php?id=193
- Panel contribution, NSF/SRS workshop on the SRS publication trends study, SRI International, Washington, USA, November 7, 2006
- “Strategic positioning of the researcher”, invited talk at the ES-CWTS seminar on the Application of Bibliometrics, Leiden, Netherlands, 12 December 2006
- “D-Grid & sustainability: some observations”, invited talk and moderation at the workshop Sustainability of D-Grid, Berlin, 10 October 2007
- “D-Grid & sustainability: some observations”, invited talk at the caBIG-MediGRID workshop, Berlin, 22-24 January 2008
- “QM:eine strategische Herausforderung“, invited talk at the HRK workshop „Qualitätsmanagement an Hochschulen – Strukturen und Prozesse im Wandel“, Berlin, 12-13 March 2008
- „Business models for e-science: issues & observations”, invited talk at the AWT/Rathenau workshop on E-Science in Action, Rotterdam, 22 April 2008
- “The Centralisation-Decentralisation Paradox: the University as a Merging Organization”, invited talk at the “Symposium Hochschulmanagement– neue Wege der Hochschulgovernance”, Hamburg, 16-17 October 2008
Research activities are focused to strategic knowledge and information management. Particular attention is devoted to research management at different organisational levels up to university management.
Hans Roosendaal is teaching course in strategic management at the bachelor level and at the master level.
- Hans Roosendaal is educated as a physicist and obtained his PhD at the University of Amsterdam and the FOM Institute for Atomic & Molecular Physics. In 1974 he joined the University of Bielefeld (Germany) as faculty staff.
- Between 1983 and 1998 he served Elsevier Science in various management positions as publisher and in corporate strategy and acquisitions.
- He joined the University of Twente in 1998 as Chief Information Officer.
- He also served as member of the Executive Board of the University of Twente.
- He has authored journal articles both on surface physics and on scientific information and has co-authored a book on surface physics. The articles on scientific information are in particular focused on strategic aspects of the transformation from a paper to a digital environment.
- Hans is chairman of the Foundation natuurkunde.nl, a foundation supported by the Dutch physics community with the aim of making physics more attractive to young people. To this end, the foundation operates two websites: natuurkunde.nl and sciencespace.nl
- He served on a number of evaluation committees on digital libraries, e-science and e-learning and was 2004-2008 member of the BMBF standing evaluation committee on D-Grid.
- Since 2006 he is a member of the Standing Accreditation Committee of the Zentrale Evaluations- und Akkreditierungsagentur, Hannover, Germany and since 2009 of its Expert Council on University Management.