The research program is aimed at the development of innovative materials and concepts for photo- and electrocatalytic reactions with high efficiency.
- The focus of the research program is on the conversion of solar or electrical energy into chemical energy, i.e. to drive thermodynamically uphill reactions such as the conversion of CO2 and the splitting of water.
- Furthermore, the PCS group focuses on purification of waste streams, including contaminated water or air. Solutions based on both, electrocatalytic (water) and photocatalytic technology (water and air), are developed.
- Finally, industrial chemistry is included in the research portfolio, with emphasis on methane activation (photocatalysis) and chlorate production (electrochemistry).
- PCS is part of the research cluster Catalysis & Process Engineering, which besides PCS will consist of the groups Catalytic Processes & Materials (CPM), Mesoscale Chemical Systems (MCS) and Sustainable Process Technology (SPT).
- The research activities of PCS are an integral part of the ambitions of the MESA+ institute (https://www.utwente.nl/mesaplus/) to contribute to the energy transition of The Netherlands and Europe, with focus on the design, development and optimization of materials, interfaces and devices.
- The PCS group is also part of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Twente(https://www.utwente.nl/en/tnw/ )