Aqua regia solutions are extremely corrosive and may result in explosion or skin burns if not handled with extreme caution. It causes destruction of living tissue at site of contact. Corrosive effects can occur not only on the skin and eyes, but also in the respiratory tract. Aqua regia solutions are extremely corrosive and may result in an explosion, skin burns, or eye/respiratory tract irritation. Aqua regia must not be handle while working alone.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
- Safetyglasses and Shield mask
- Two gloves, neoprene gloves above nitrile gloves.
- Lab coat, long trousers and closed shoes and apron.
- Work inside the fume hood in a clean area and with the sash lowered.
- Prepare the solution just before using it.
- Always add the nitric acid to the hydrochloric acid slowly.
- Aqua regia is an energetic solution, potentially explosive and can reach 100oC, handle with care and in an ice-bath.
- Adding any acids or bases will accelerate the exothermic reaction. Adding organic compound may cause explosion.
- When the cleaning is finish let the aqua regia cold down and neutralise with sodium carbonate, ALWAYS OPEN. NEVER STORE AQUA REGIA
FIRST AIDS PROCEDURES
- In case of skin contact: Go to the nearest emergency shower if contaminated. Yell for assistance and rinse for 15 minutes, removing all articles of clothing to ensure contaminate is completely removed. Call 2222 for immediate medical attention or follow up with Acute Care of Employee Health if skin contact was limited.
- In case of eye contact: Go to the nearest emergency eyewash. Yell for assistance and rinse for 15 minutes. Call 2222 for immediate medical attention.
- If inhaled: Remove to fresh air. Call 2222 for immediate medical attention.