The University Teaching Qualfication (UTQ, or in dutch: BKO) is a qualification of pedagogical competences of university teachers. All teaching staff of the University of Twente have to acquire this certificate within 3 years after their employment. An UTQ qualification is nationally acknowledged.
- UTQ competences and criteria
The core of the UTQ is the development and demonstration of 5 didactic competences in a personal UTQ dossier.
Competence 1: Designing or redesiging education
- explain how their course is embedded in the curriculum or degree programme as a whole.
- design teaching based on the principles of ‘constructive alignment’.
- design active, effective, and efficient learning methods and learning materials.
- design their teaching with respect to the specific (curricular) characteristics and needs of the students.
- design their teaching in a practically and logistically feasible (do-able) way.
Competence 2: Teaching and supervising
- prepare an educational meeting.
- conduct an educational meeting and reflect on their performance.
- supervise students, individually and in groups.
Competence 3: Assessment
- design and implement the assessment of student development and learning outcomes.
- analyse the assessment results and draw conclusions.
Competence 4: Evaluating teaching
- conduct an evaluation and collect information (data) purposefully to improve their teaching.
- analyse evaluation results, draw conclusions, and pinpoint areas for improvement.
Competence 5: Professionalization
- formulate their own vision on teaching and student learning.
- manage their work as a teacher and can collaborate in a teaching team.
- reflect on their work as a teacher and on their future professional development in teaching.
- 4TU regulations
The 4TU UTQ regulation describes the joined procedures, competences and the arbitration and appeal procedure in case of disagreement of the assessment result.
- UTQ Exemption
An UTQ exemption stands for an equivalent of the UTQ competences and is granted in case of:
- a diplom of a post graduate teacher training (eerstegraads bevoegdheid), followed by a reflection report of the UTQ competencies focused on the application of the educational theory in the academic context.
- a VELON certificate
- an abroad achieved pedagogical diplom/certificate in academic context, equivalent to the UTQ competences.
Note: an UTQ exemption means the acquitance of the UTQ obligation. An UTQ exemption will not lead to an UTQ certificate/qualification.
UTQ PARTIAL CERTIFICATE
If you already obtained a UTQ partial certificate at another university in the Netherlands, you do not need to join the UTQ workshops and/or assignments that are related to partial certificate. Ask your UTQ supervisor for advice on how to incorporate this exemption in your UTQ dossier.
- If you think you are eligible for an UTQ exemption, please contact the HR advisor of your own faculty.
- The HR advisor requests for the exemption through the exemption advisor of CELT.
- The CELT advisor evaluates the evidences delivered by the candidate (diploms, supporting documents).
- The CELT advisor will schedule a meeting with the candidate to talk about the reflection report, diplom/certificate and the UT educational context
- CELT advises the faculty (dean/HR) about granting or not the UTQ exemption.
- Finally the faculty decides whether to assign the exemption and informs the candidate
Any questions or comments regarding the UTQ? You can contact the CELT support office or UTQ coordinator Angelique Assink.