What can be done to verify and stimulate the quality of the assessment at the level of a subject or module?
Work preventively, promote a quality culture, encourage and support exeminers. For this purpose attention can be paid to, among other things:
- appointing competent examiners (for instance by stimulating participation in courses in this field and the obtaining of an UTQ certificate);
- regular attention to assessment-related themes by menas of e.g. lunch-meetings, sessions during study days of the education programme, making it an agenda-item in teacher meetings, etc.
- clear rules and guidelines for testing & assessment, protocols which are well known and followed;
- the provision of relevant resources (manuals, toolbox, an advisor);
- implementing structural peer review and/or intervision between lecturers;
- asking for accountability for the assessment practice by means of 'assessment plans' at course and/or module level (What will be in it? Who will look at these plans? What is its purpose?)
The following measures, among others, can be used to check the quality of assessments afterwards :
- request accountability by means of assessment dossiers (What should be in it? Who will look at it? Wat is the purpose?);
- doing a quality check by means of an evaluation to be carried out by the examiners themselves, based on an analysis of the results on the assessment (total results, result at question or criteria level) and student evaluations;
- assessment screenings carried out by an expert, an appointed assessment committee, (a group of) peers.
Being alert to signals. Signals can be picked up from, for example:
- student evaluations;
- complaints from students
- extreme, striking assessment results (What will be the norm?)